Are there any jobs in the Navy that don't require being put in harms way?

My SO wants to join the navy, I'm not sure doing what. Is there anything he can do without being put into the middle of the war or other dangerous areas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on May. 1, 2010 in Money & Work

• Well, depends on what you mean by "harms way"
    DH is a mechanic so when he deployed he was relatively safe but still technically was in the "middle" of the war. He's Army though.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:29 AM on May. 1, 2010

• He can be an officer..
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 12:36 AM on May. 1, 2010

• He won't really get to choose. Maybe another form of public service would be better for your family.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:40 AM on May. 1, 2010

• rkoloms, he'll take the ASVAB and be given a list of jobs and yes, he will be able to choose from that list. We're a military family with hubby and 2 sons having gone in.

OP, most jobs in the Navy are fairly safe and their deployments aren't as long as say, the Army's. Even in the Army most of the jobs are fairly safe. My 1 son is a Dental Tech and my other son is a Signals support Specialist. The 1 has deployed to Iraq and will be going to Afghanistan in the summer but he stays on base and it's as safe as possible be where it is.

Have him to try Air Force or Coast Guard as possible options.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:11 AM on May. 1, 2010

• Like pp said most jobs are safe in the Navy. But if you don't want him in harms way I agree with rkoloms that you should choose a different career, there is always a risk that they will assign him to something other then what his actual job is.

My ex was a cryptologyst in the Navy, he was KIA 6 July 2007 :(

So, there is always a risk...

BUT I would like to say this. I did a lot or reasearch for my husband, who at the time was an Army recuriter, and your husband is more likely to die in a car accident on his way home from work then in a war zone. this was taking into account sucides possibly linked to PTSD from the war. What I reasearch was only for the current wars in Iraq in afganistan.

Is it comfortating to know this now that my husband is in Afganistan? Yes BUT it still sucks and I will always worry!
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 9:04 AM on May. 1, 2010

• If he's a nuke, it's very unlikely he would be in harms way. They don't spend thousands of dollars training nukes so they can go into a war zone. He would go out to sea, though, but that's the Navy. And by nuke, I'm talking the nuclear propulsion program. My husband and I were both nukes. If he wants to go that route, feel free to PM me. I will warn you, though, being a nuke isn't easy. Unless you're like my husband, who is ridiculously smart. Not that I'm stupid, but I did have to work a lot harder to pass nuke school. The recruiters will act like it's way easier than it is because they get a special bonus or something for recruiting nukes.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:18 AM on May. 1, 2010

• Oh and as far as rkoloms' response. If you know what you're doing when you go in to sign up, you can choose your job. With limitations. For instance. I signed up to be a nuke. Once I got through boot camp, they couldn't just put me wherever they wanted. Now I didn't get to choose which type of nuke - electrician, mechanic, or electronic's technician, but I chose to be a nuke. The ONLY way they could have made me something else was if I failed out of nuke school. When picking your job, you do have to meet requirements as far as ASVAB scores go, but whatever you do don't join as undesignated. You will get shit jobs until you pass a rating exam for whatever job it is you want.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:25 AM on May. 1, 2010

• He WILL get to choose.Geeze.
    My husband joined the Navy but then was booted on the 1st day due to Honesty about his past lol. He wasnt ready IMO and got scared.Poor guy lol Anyways He took his Asvab,they gave him a list of jobs and he was able to pick Nuke.He picked it.
    When he joined the Army he picked his Job also he is a combat camera man(ITS a really cook job lol but his deployments scare me :/)My SIL just joined the Air Force and she CHOOSE Air Traffic Control.Have him talk to the recruiter.They will be the best help really. I know you want him safe and any military wife does. Good luck
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 9:44 AM on May. 1, 2010

• Yes you can choose, BUT if they are needing people somewhere else and they are overmanned in a different MOS, you can get changed temporarly...I am not lying when I say this, maybe it only happens in the Army. I know several who had a temp (my husband being one) MOS change because they needed them somewhere else.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 9:51 AM on May. 1, 2010

• Its a cool job..not COOK lol sorry :/
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 9:59 AM on May. 1, 2010