We had a class project in one of my classes. Two people in my class work together on it and turn in the same paper. Everyone was suppoce to do their own work. The teacher gave them both a 0. The teacher claimed it was plagerism. So do you think it is plagerism or do you think they deserve some credit for their work?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on May. 1, 2010 in

• Plagiarism and its consequences are one of the "first day" topics in every single one of my classes. The topic is also covered on every single syllabus I have received. So if it was plagiarism then that's what you get.

In this particular case I don't know if it really qualifies as plagiarism but definitely a bad case of not being able to follow directions. You don't say but I assume it is college level? many of my professor wont even accept late work, they make the rules and at this level you should be able to follow an assignment.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 2:25 PM on May. 1, 2010

• i think they should have to do it over. if they were told to do it on their own then they should be old enough to follow rules so in a way they deserve the zero... but if i were the teacher i would tell them to do it over on their own
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on May. 1, 2010

• plagerism for sure. anytime you write someone elses words with out giving them sole credit...they should have to do it over but on diff topic. that way they have to start completely ever. why didnt they ask if that was ok first?
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 2:29 AM on May. 1, 2010

• Of course they deserved the 0.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:43 AM on May. 1, 2010

• Technically it is plagiarism, but it seems to me that they misunderstood the assignment. You can actually plagiarize yourself if you use formerly "published" (like a paper from another class) material of your own without referencing it properly.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 8:53 AM on May. 1, 2010

• yea i think it was just stupid to turn in the same paper! if i was the teacher i wouldnt let them do it over.
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 9:02 AM on May. 1, 2010

• i would not say it's plagirasim, but i would say they deserved the 0 bc it's supposed to be a solo assignment, not a group effort
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:57 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Not necessarily plagarism, but they didn't do their own work and they deserved the 0. I am assuming it is college, so they should be plenty capable of READING and FOLLOWING directions and if they didn't understand the assignment, they could have ASKED the instructor. Next time they will learn to FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:47 PM on May. 6, 2010