Advice on cloth diapers

Does anyone know where to find cheap cloth diapers? I am a sahm and my son keeps breaking out. I was going to try cloth diapers, but when i started searching online i couldnt beleive the prices!

amari_fletch

Asked by amari_fletch at 1:02 AM on May. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• WWW.hyenacart.com
    You can get used ones (spots corner) and there are TONS of WAHM made ones!
    rhianonmat

Answer by rhianonmat at 1:30 AM on May. 1, 2010

• A lot of people are into very expensive cloth diapers and end up putting a fortune into them, although it is still probably not nearly as costly as disposable diapering. They say it is like an addiction, and I can see why. They are very cute and work well, but for me, it would defeat the purpose of cloth diapering for us. That purpose is cost in our house with eight children. Any way, I just use Gerber prefolds with their covers, and they work just fine. By the time they are getting a little snug, they are old enough to potty train. At 18 months I do that. A good number of women use better brands of prefolds that you can find online, and that will still be far cheaper than the other expensive ways to cloth diaper. You can find out what to get and where in the cloth diapering group I'm in, that I can't remember the name of.
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 1:30 AM on May. 1, 2010

• there is a cloth diapering group on CM. i'm sure they can help. as well as Green Organic Natural Simple Living (group here on CM).

Also, check your craigslist or freecycle for gently used cloth diapers. Or make your own! get out that old shirt and sew it up! there are instructions for how to on line.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:36 AM on May. 1, 2010

• Cuties with Cloth Booties!
    outstandingLove

• You can find them used on craigslist and other such sites, or if you sew you could make your own. There's a group on here called Sewing Diaper Divas that can help offer you direction in that area.

Prefolds and covers are generally the most inexpensive way to go unless you buy used. I would also advise making your own laundry detergent to help cut the costs. There are various recipes online; if you'd like me to send you a few links pm me and I'll happily do so.
    xtwistedxlovex

Answer by xtwistedxlovex at 1:39 AM on May. 1, 2010

• I get mine on eBay. I mostly use all in ones (AIO's). The brand I use is Green & Comfy, they have an eBay store. I usually pay between $4 and $10 per diaper, and they do combine shipping if you win more then one auction in the same week. Any more specific questions/concerns you have? Glad to offer my input.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:30 AM on May. 1, 2010

• Look for cloth diaper services. I found one around here, for $20.00 I get all the diapers I need and use them like you would use disposables (no scraping or washing, just throw into the diaper pail as is and they come pick it up every week). I don't have to worry about replacing or buying or washing and I'm saving tons of money. Here's the website: www.bearbottoms.ca. they do sell their diapers on there too and cater to US clients too.
    Scribble

Answer by Scribble at 12:53 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Another thing you can do, if you or someoneyou know is good with a sewing machine, just buy 1 or 2 diapers of each size and use them as a pattern to make your own. it's definitely a lot cheaper if you can make your own.
    Scribble

Answer by Scribble at 12:56 PM on May. 1, 2010

• http://www.diaperswappers.com is great

I personally like AI2's - the g diapers with cloth inserts made for them instead of the disposable inserts.. If you buy them used they are really cheap. Cloth diapers save you tons of money long term.

You could also do Craigslist, but on diaperswappers you can see peoples feedback scores and stuff. You could also look on ebay and look for someone with great feedback but the shipping on diaperswappers is a lot cheaper. Plus once you're done you can turn around and sell them perhaps for how much you invested in used ones depending on condition. You can also sew your own..

You don't have to wash your cover as much w/ AI2s, just the inserts.

I also like other AI2s but they are harder to find.. I have some WAHM AI2s too.

And if you have hard water you have to strip your diapers &inserts regularly (put vinegar in the wash cycle and then baking soda in the rinse cycle) .

Anonymous

• Oh and to really penny pinch instead of g diapers which are sized (btw these are sized a little smaller than they say my son is already in the Larges at 20 pounds and they're supposed to go to 24 pounds) you can do the ones that are just one sized, a couple of my WAHM AI2s are one sized. But sometimes the fit on these isn't as good so I'd be careful not to buy too many at once til you know if they're a good fit for you.

Another reason I like AI2s is because if you have to pay for your water, you have less washing to do with the AI2s than with a lot of the prefolds. JMO AI2s save me money in this way too. Less laundry and less laundry soap washing the covers because the covers are better protected than with a lot of the other cloth diapers.
    Anonymous