Would gossip be considered bearing false witness or sinning?

When we talk about others are we damaging our souls?

I get so mad sometimes I lash out and will complain to anyone that will listen. I am starting to think it would be better to call a few close friends and vent and not get so hot and bothered over someone else.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on May. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yup
    thats why I do not post questions here ..... it can become a hornets nest and the hornets are stinging each other back and forth back and forth! ( doesnt matter who you are)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:32 AM on May. 1, 2010

• what do you mean shane?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:34 AM on May. 1, 2010

• Let's face it--we've all done it! But once our spiritual eyes are opened to the damage it causes, should we continue to do it?I know it's hard to quit but consider how the other person would feel if she was listening to you. OR imagine how YOU would feel if your friends were talking behind YOUR back, and you just happened to walk just into hearing range, like on a landing, while they dragged your name through the mud, then smiled in your face when you entered the room. Not good! Yeah maybe vent to a person you can trust will not go pot-stirring. I tell my mother or one daughter who knows how to keep quiet.
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 1:39 AM on May. 1, 2010

• exactly Aprilmorgans

Pot stirring is the word I was looking for.. instead of hornets nest but same thing.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:41 AM on May. 1, 2010

• Gossip yes. Venting I thinking is a different thing though.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 1:48 AM on May. 1, 2010

• Yeah maybe vent to a person you can trust will not go pot-stirring. I tell my mother or one daughter who knows how to keep quiet.

Is the difference between venting and gossiping is you are telling one person who you know wont tell?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on May. 1, 2010

• The DIFFERENCE IS: I get it out of my system and it does not travel any further or cause that person any harm, because by venting, i just blow the steam and then get over it without causing them harm. AND if I have an issue with someone, instead of talking behind her back, i will address the problem with the person I have the issue with. No gossip, no umors, no third party involvement. This is not a perfect world, but we should try to do what we can to make it better, not worse for eachother.
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 2:54 AM on May. 1, 2010

• Is the difference between venting and gossiping is you are telling one person who you know wont tell?

No not really. Venting is saying that you are angry or upset about truthful things, and not being mean or rude about some one.
    Gossip is things that are none of your business and telling them to others, or spreading lies.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 2:55 AM on May. 1, 2010

I agree mostly, but some times you can't directly speak to the person in question and still need to blow off steam.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 2:56 AM on May. 1, 2010

• I always thought bearing false witness meant lying, not gossiping, and there is a difference... lying, of course, is making up something entirely untrue or altering something which actually happened. Gossiping is talking about someone else or what they've done, but it's true, or you are merely repeating what you were told by someone else. I don't see gossip, or venting, to be a big deal, as long as it's true.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 6:52 AM on May. 1, 2010