What does the bible say about the death penalty? Is there anything that would support the death penalty in the bible?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:44 AM on May. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• If there is i would think it is hypocrisy. The bible clearly states. "Thou shall not kill" so i truly hope there wouldn't be anything to discredit that.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:49 AM on May. 1, 2010

• A baptist preacher taught me long ago that there is a difference between murder(killing) and blood crying out for blood. The blood of the righteous cries out from the earth for the blood of a murderer to be shed(. Example: in the old testament Cain slew Able.That is how God knew what Cain had done--because Able's blood was crying out for justice! find it very difficult to believe that we must not impart the death penalty to those who rape, torture and murder innocent children. I realize that Christ died for them , too, but it just seems to me that we should send them on their way to meet Him sooner. As far as the BIBLE supporting the death penalty, I don't know--c'mon all you Bible scholars out there--this is a toughie!! I just know that i am a Christian, and for those who harm little children, Jesus said that it would be better for them to have a millstone tied around their necks and be tossed into the ocean rather than
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 2:19 AM on May. 1, 2010

• face God on Judgement Day.
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 2:20 AM on May. 1, 2010

• As far as I know not directly. Though it is controversially on the death thing. There are places in the bible where it says it is ok to kill, and then it says not to.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 2:25 AM on May. 1, 2010

• The Bible states "Thou Shalt Not Kill". Only God has the authority to pass judgment on a person and their soul. There is no justification for the death penalty in the Bible.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 4:21 AM on May. 1, 2010

• first of all, I am not christian so it wouldn't matter to me if it was in the Bible or not but I do read the Bible, second of all...YES the Bible DOES mention the death penalty which is quite contradictory to what the other posters mention as for crimes it is an EYE FOR AN EYE regarding crime, leading one to the notion that if one kills, he too shall be put to death. to ME this is a direct relation to the matter of death penalty...and thirdly I am against the death penalty because I believe it wastes our tax dollars due to appeals made by the accused.
    mysilentmorning

Answer by mysilentmorning at 9:54 AM on May. 1, 2010

• Actually the bible does talk about thou shall not kill, however it also says to obey the laws of your countrymen.. (again to early, don't make me look it up now, if you leave it open I'll look for it tonight). So in a sense, if your countrymen believe (for example) a man was guilty of murder, and wanted to play the eye for an eye law as their countries base of laws... then it wouldn't be a sin for them to commit him as guilty and have him go through the death penalty.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:54 AM on May. 1, 2010

• Not only does the bible support the Death Penalty, but it actually gives examples of when it should be carried out... Do you think when they were stoning people they lived? The bible states "thou shalt not kill" but that's not in reference to law or criminals, in stead it refers to daily life...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:49 AM on May. 1, 2010

• I agree with Aprilmoragns. That is how I have understood it as well.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 3:26 PM on May. 1, 2010

• first of all, I am not christian so it wouldn't matter to me if it was in the Bible or not but I do read the Bible, second of all...YES the Bible DOES mention the death penalty which is quite contradictory to what the other posters mention as for crimes it is an EYE FOR AN EYE regarding crime, leading one to the notion that if one kills, he too shall be put to death. to ME this is a direct relation to the matter of death penalty...and thirdly

This was what I was referring to.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 4:03 PM on May. 1, 2010