Is there something wrong with my cat?

I just recently discovered that my cat likes to eat wierd things, such as plastic and ribbon. At first I thought she just the liked the sound it made when she chewed on the plastic..but she somtimes vomits and there is big pieces of plastic bag in it. This morning I was playing with her with a giant rubber band and I left it on the floor...next thing I know half of it was gone! Is this wierd? This may be a stupid question...is it harmful?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:14 AM on May. 1, 2010 in Pets

• Ribbon and string can be very dangerous if ingested. It can tangle in her intestines as it tries to pass through. Plastic is just as dangerous as it would be for a baby, it could cause her to choke to death by blocking her airway. My cat likes the same thing, so I'm not sure if its normal or not, but yours isn't the only one. Just start being careful about what she has access to. One wierd toy that my cat does love is the ring from a milk jug. She's never been able to chew it apart, and bats it around the house. You could try that if you're looking to replace her more dangerous household playtoys.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:24 AM on May. 1, 2010

• Just to be clear...she does eat cat food regulary.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:16 AM on May. 1, 2010

• It certainly can be. You should talk to your vet about it as soon as can
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 2:16 AM on May. 1, 2010

• Maybe she thinks she's a goat....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:18 AM on May. 1, 2010

• my cat LOVES any kind of plastic. i just have to keep it away from her.
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 2:21 AM on May. 1, 2010

• your cat has indicated a nervous disorder. Does she mainly do this when your not around? oh and yes, it can be very harmful.

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 2:22 AM on May. 1, 2010

• I know my cat is like that I have to be real carfeul about things like that expecially the long ribbon or strings(that can get stuck and get tangled in the bowel)
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:25 AM on May. 1, 2010

• Weird no many cats like these things but it can be dangerous. It sounds like she ate some of it so if I was you I would get her to the vet and have x-rays done. If she has eaten ribbon or rubber bans she may need to have surgery to have it removed.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:40 AM on May. 1, 2010