soo my son is scared of the buzzers at the hair salon...

i want to get my sons hair cut before we go to florida in a couple weeks, and i was hoping i could get his hair buzzed.. but he's terrified of the buzzer! like, even after i show him that putting it on my arm doesnt hurt, he won't do it. he FREAKS out! has anyone else had an experience like this? how did they get over it?? advice pleaseee!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 AM on May. 1, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well, I would say get it cut with scissors until he gets over his fear. Fears are tricky... and there's not much you can do but try to avoid it. My DD is scared of a lot of things, so I just try to comfort her and tell her that it's not harmful, but still... I wouldn't want him to freak out on the barber.. poor barber...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:29 AM on May. 1, 2010

• My son was like that poor guy we had to hold him down to buzz his head. After a few times he was okay with it. I wouldnt be picky on the style I would do the straight buzz.. tell him it tickles or bribe iwth a sucker(this worked like a champ with us!)
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:44 AM on May. 1, 2010

• I would just get as close to his head with the scissors for now. I would even try like an electric razor if you have one, and let your son push the button. Might get him more use to the noise.
    ambie1983

Answer by ambie1983 at 4:57 AM on May. 1, 2010

• My son too was terrified of clippers. This last time I cut his hair I made sure I had plenty of distractions, toys he could hold,a sucker, his fav blanky... Although they worked for a few minutes.. it wasnt until I started making a game out of cutting his hair and kept talking to him and asking him questions that he finally relaxed and let me clip. I hope this helps.
    OliveMyLoves

Answer by OliveMyLoves at 8:12 AM on May. 1, 2010

• My son didn't use to like getting his hair cut either. He mostly hated all the hair getting on him. He would just scream and scream and I would just try to keep talking to him and letting him know we were almost done. And my husband stands by us and tries to keep him calm. Now I just put him in front of the t.v. and put on one of his favorite movies and he is good. For a little while I would give him candy. You might try taking him some where when I took my son to my cousins shop he didn't really like it but no screaming and he let her cut his hair. There are lots of places you can take him that are real fun and get kids excited about getting hair cuts. It may be worth it for the first hair cut!! Good Luck I hope it all works out for you!

Zara Nichols
    Helping Moms Work From Home
    www.4AHappyLife.com
    ZaraN

Answer by ZaraN at 8:35 AM on May. 1, 2010

• Then get his haircut with scissors. There is no reason to keep pushing his fears. He will get over it in time. My son was afraid of the clippers too and had to have his hair cut with scissors for a couple of years.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:54 AM on May. 2, 2010