when did u start?

I have a 3 month old baby boy that just turned 3 months on the 22nd and i was wondering when everyone started feeding their babies cereal? Everyone tells me something different but is 3 months too soon? He is on the bigger side, he is not really fat he is tall but he does have some chub to him but i dont want to make him HUGE lol.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:43 AM on May. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I tried to start her at five months (my DH didn't want to start her til 6 cuz of food allergies or something). But she refused for about a month, so I started her at 6 months.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:47 AM on May. 1, 2010

• 6 mos is what the peds are recommending now. The idea is to avoid food allergies. In fact, several naturopaths will tell u to avoid cereal, xcept brown rice and jump right into veggies then fruits. U could help avoid grain/gluten allergies. Also, people eat their entire lives, so living on milk a little longer isn't going to hurt. Especially your child's nutrition is already adequate!
    zoookeeper45

Answer by zoookeeper45 at 2:53 AM on May. 1, 2010

• i started mine with a little rice cereal in their bottles at about 3 months and then at 4 months gave it to them as cereal and tried the different kinds of cereal then
    jen699

Answer by jen699 at 2:56 AM on May. 1, 2010

• I have always waited till my LO's were 6 months old unless the doctor said something different.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:01 AM on May. 1, 2010

• Talk to your ped. Every child is different and there are a numerous variables that have to be taken into account. Some babies may be ready and some are not.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 3:25 AM on May. 1, 2010

• I started at 6 months on the pediatrician's recommendation.
    salamaat

Answer by salamaat at 4:39 AM on May. 1, 2010

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 7:33 AM on May. 1, 2010

• I started a little before bed in the bottle at 4 months and it was a wonderful idea for me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:57 AM on May. 1, 2010

• In my opinion, which it seems you are asking for, yes, 3 months is too young. Personally, I would wait until at least 6 months. It's also good to know that when they are a bit older (6+m) that you can totally skip rice cereal and just start with fruits/veggies if you'd like. I guess you can even do that before 6 months, but their digestive systems are immature before that, and sometimes even not ready for solids at 6 mos. In any case, if you do decide to start now, remember, NEVER in a bottle, ALWAYS with a spoon, and ALWAYS breast or formula FIRST, then offer a bit of the solids. Up until around 12 mos, solids are ALWAYS second to breast or formula, they are ALWAYS to be given immediately AFTER a breast or formula feeding.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:34 AM on May. 1, 2010

• I always hear 6 months is when you are suppose to start. But I started both my kids at 4 months.

Zara Nichols
    Helping Moms Work From Home
    www.4AHappyLife.com
    ZaraN

Answer by ZaraN at 8:44 AM on May. 1, 2010