drill baby drill

spill baby spill
drown birdie drown
die of thirst people die

So anyone change their mind yet? Will we be the destroyers of our God given resources because we believe He's just going to keep our selfish, overly consumptious (greed, gluttony, sloth anyone) supply going, or should we just get humble (lose the vanity, envy) and return to the ways of old. Think Amish.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 AM on May. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Do you think our president now is going to do anything other than keep us dependant upon oil overseas?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:05 AM on May. 1, 2010

• Well since I'm not willing to give up refrigeration; indoor plumbing; antibiotics; and the like; I don't exactly think "going Amish" is the answer.

But I do have a problem with the unchecked expansion of drilling; which obviously is not secure. Yes accidents happen; but they're saying 5k gallons an hour and it's going to take MONTHS to fix!??! I can't help that I feel they should have had every possible contingency covered and repairs should not take that long.

There solution orig was to burn it? Sending how much toxic shit into the atmosphere? Seriously?

There are other options we should be exploring for our energy production.

I'm a Gulf Coast Resident (SW FL)

quoting: Bill Maher:
    "Every asshole who ever chanted 'Drill baby drill' should have to report to the Gulf Coast today for clean-up duty."
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 3:10 AM on May. 1, 2010

• Maher is an asshole himself who laughed about a man having a stroke.Maybe,if he has one people should joke and laugh about it on national tv.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:20 AM on May. 1, 2010

• Knock yourself out Anon ... I never said he was a good person. Saw the quote today; agreed with it. Don't like it - bite me
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 3:22 AM on May. 1, 2010

• I'd never quote such an asshole i'd just state my pov in my own words.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:40 AM on May. 1, 2010

• All the Amish I know use propane or natural gas as a power source for their businesses or their homes (lights, heat, refrigerators, production machinery). Both are hydrocarbons that come from natural gas wells OR CRUDE OIL. Some use kerosene, another by-product of CRUDE OIL.

Returning to the ways of old isn't the answer. Improving drilling methods, improving safety, finding better ways to contain oil spills, and finding faster ways to clean up the environment would greatly help until alternative energy can become the primary source(s).
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:56 AM on May. 1, 2010

• I have to wonder what the cause of the explosion was. I am not ready to give up on drilling. Plus, there are so many ways they can drill now that they wouldn't have to do it from a platform in the ocean. This was a state of the art rig, and still no real explanation of how it was destroyed.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:08 AM on May. 1, 2010

• Why is it so hard to do a little INTERNET research in this technological age?! This current spill--while certainly having far reaching repercussions, is NOTHING compared to the 1979-80 Mexican owned IXTOC OIL SPILL, 600 miles off the coast of Texas that took 9 MONTHS to cap, and in the process released 10-30,000 BARRELS of crude oil PER DAY and an estimated 3,000,000 barrels total!!!

"Approximately ten thousand to thirty thousand barrels per day were discharged into the Gulf until it was finally cappe"d on March 23, 1980. Prevailing currents carried the oil towards the Texas coastline. The US government had two months to prepare booms to protect major inlets. Mexico rejected US requests to be compensated for cleanup costs."
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:33 AM on May. 1, 2010

• GEEZ, maybe we should destroy all the cars in the US. They kill millions every year, and destroy the environment at a far larger scale.

However, I'm sure the OP doesn't own one, and lives like the Amish. (except for the computer, of course!)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on May. 1, 2010

• Bill Mahr summed it up perfectly with his comment: Anyone who has said Drill Baby Drill, should be reporting to the gulf for clean up duties.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:11 AM on May. 1, 2010