Friggin Urgent Care!

So, I asked a question yesterday about antibiotics and my 11 month old. How long it would take to work, yadda yadda. He was diagnosed with an Ear infection and upper respiratory infection on Monday evening and didn't seem to be doing any better. Yesterday I called the Urgent Care back and told them this and they changed his antibiotic. However, I noticed blister like sores developing near his eye and his mouth. On a whim I called his Dr and brought him in this evening. NO EAR INFECTION and NO UPPER RESPIRATORY INFECTION. What does he have you ask? Oral Herpes, which will cause continuous fevers, sores, sleepiness, crankiness, etc. This is the SECOND time this (supposedly great) hospital has misdiagnosed a child of mine and it really PISSES me off! Sorry, had to vent. What would you do? (The first time, I was told my other son had a cold, took him to HIS dr and found out it was pneumonia and 2 double ear infections. Gee thanks)

TheDiva320

Asked by TheDiva320 at 4:34 AM on May. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would be very upset, too! I would find out who runs the show at that hospital and write a very upset letter.
    salamaat

Answer by salamaat at 4:38 AM on May. 1, 2010

• I'm totally going to! It's ridiculous. Both times if I didn't go with my gut could have landed my children in ICU. Thank GOD for intuition. This hospital brags about being one of the best in the area. I beg to differ!
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 4:40 AM on May. 1, 2010

• I would stop using that urgent care. I have had this happen before and I stopped using them, and filed complaints. I now drive 45 minutes to the urgent care located next door to our regular doctor that way if something feels off about the visit i can walk next door and ask my doctor or her nurse for help. Luckily I have never had a problem with our current urgent care. Sometimes its about knowing what doctors they use, some urgent cares have NO doctor on staff at all , you are dealing with nurses and physcian assistant's and those are the WORST urgent cares to use because they are generally overcrowded and see far too many people in one day and do not perform a good check of the symptoms they just go with what ever the most common ailment seems to be.

Hope your lil one feels better soon, poor kid, sounds like it has not been a fun week at all :(
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 4:41 AM on May. 1, 2010

• ****Both times if I didn't go with my gut could have landed my children in ICU. Thank GOD for intuition. This hospital brags about being one of the best in the area. I beg to differ!

This seriously sounds like my local hospital, they are HORRIBLE! I litterally drive out of state to take my kids to the doctor now. I had a similar experience with my boys getting sick and it turned into double ear infections and serious respriatory problems that hung on for months because the doctor refused to treat them and i called or walked in daily and received no help at all. To top it off our local hospital almost cost my son and i our lives when i was in labor. Since moving to the doctors just over the stateline I have gotten amazing healthcare and the doctors and staff are wonderful.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 4:45 AM on May. 1, 2010

• I've had all sorts of experiences with bad docs and diagnosis. My OB's office didn't even know that amoxicillin doesn't work in pregnant women and I got extremely ill..

When I was kid they misdiagnosed a UTI as "faking to get out of school" even though I had perfect attendance and even after I had a low fever and leaking pee they brushed me off. My mom thought it was off but she just went with what they said til I got flank pain - kidney pain - and another doc was like WTF?.. Then as a teen same thing again I had UTI that went into my kidneys and they said I strained my back but my mom didn't believe them because I was complaining so much of my flank hurting and she took me to an ER an hour and a half away and my kidneys were shutting down and I needed IV antibiotics. The reason they misdiagnose them in me is because I don't have burning urination just pain in my bladder/flank and I leak a tiny bit of pee.

Go to a new UC.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on May. 1, 2010

• sounds like the hospiatal we use to live near. You dont live in Rolla Missouri by chance do you?
    lovemybabys1106

Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 10:35 AM on May. 1, 2010

• Nope, not Missouri! Apparently these hospitals are everywhere. Problem is, I'm transportation challenged for the time being, so I have to go to what I can get to. But I think that someone at the hospital needs to know the crap that is going on there. And yes, it's been one HELL of a week! LOL! I'm absolutely exhausted! But he seems to be on the right track now, fingers crossed he'll get better now. He's eating again, which is a GREAT sign.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 11:14 AM on May. 1, 2010

• The urgent care could have been right. The only way to diagnose an ear infection is to see changes in the ear drum, red & swollen. Your baby could have had the ear changes when seen at the urgent care and either they got better on their own or the antibiotics had already helped by the time you took the baby to the regular doctor. The herpes would be a different infection.

The other child may have had a cold and by the time that child say the regular doctor the child had ear infections and pneumonia. There is no such thing as 2 double ear infections. Some people say double ear infections meaning both ears. Medical people say infections in both ears.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:04 PM on May. 1, 2010

• From what you describe I see no reason to be upset with the urgent care center. You have to realize medical conditions change or it's possible to have more than one problem at the same time. They tell you to come back if it gets worse or to follow up with your regular doctor.

I went to the hospital with chest pain and my doctor was going to send me home. I have asthma and he said it was just asthma. My son is a nurse and he looked at my lab results and this one test was just a little abnormal and he asked the doctor to do a test for pulmonary emboli, blood clots in the lungs. The bottoms of both my lungs were filled with clots. You can die from one clot if not treated in an hour. I was in the hospital over a week and have permant lung damage.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:13 PM on May. 1, 2010