Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

iam 27 yeras old with scoliosis problem,and looked up on the you tube i found people with the same problem or worse had been recovered or treated in a very good percentage ! my question is ,do u know any body with scoliosis and had been cured by physical therapy

coz i went to chiropracter and he was ass hole,he done no thing for me..not even physical therapy?? any suggestions plzzz

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:51 AM on May. 1, 2010 in Health

Answers (4)
  • I know that when my mom went to physical therapy it made hers so bad that she couldn't even move her arm. She then went to the chiropractor and that helped her greatly. I'm sure physical therapy could work but you would have to find the right people.

    Answer by tanya_marieh at 7:14 AM on May. 1, 2010

  • When I was 24, I was told that I needed surgery for my scoliosis. I started see (a really fantastic) chiropractor, and have been having something call Spinal Touch Therapy. I am not 50, haven't had the surgery, any my back feels pretty good.

    Answer by rkoloms at 7:31 AM on May. 1, 2010

  • It all depends on how advanced your Scoliosis is. If you have a mild distal curvature of the spine (curving toward the left or right of the median), then you would likely benefit from a supervised (personal trainer) combination program of strength training and stretching exercises.

    The stronger and more flexible the larger protagonist and antagonist muscles are around your spine/rib cage (Latissimus Dorsi, Obliques, and Pectoralis Major) are, the better you will be able to move through complete range of motion, and alleviate the pain and stiffness associated with Scoliosis. If you have advanced Scoliosis that is affecting your posture or is beginning to turn into Kyphosis (hump on upper part of the back), then you will need to see an orthopaedic surgeon to discuss your treatment options.

    My degrees are in Sports Medicine and Exercise Physiology. I was also a Personal Trainer for 15 years.


    Answer by LoriKeet at 8:25 AM on May. 1, 2010

  • LoriKeet said it :) DH has scoliosis, upper and lower. He is actually not allowed to see a chiropractor, partially because his lumbar curve affects the nerves in his spine and it pinches them every now and then and also because he has Arnold Chiari Malformation that had to be surgically corrected and the backs of the vertebrae at the base of his skull to his shoulders have been shaved off- no forceful corrections allowed. So I couldn't tell you about chiropractic treatments. Like LoriKeet said, though, it depends on the severity of the scoliosis. If it's mild, p.t. should at least help a little bit. If it's very severe like DH's, corrective surgery is likely the only thing that would straighten the spine. Also, like LoriKeet said, it is important to see a spinal specialist and discuss treatment options with them.

    Answer by preacherskid at 8:57 AM on May. 1, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.