How old is too old for a binky?

There's this show that I like, but on it, there's this 2 year old girl that still uses a binky. That seems way to old to me. When is a good age to get rid of the binky?

AirForceWife14

Asked by AirForceWife14 at 7:39 AM on May. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• I know what you mean, sometimes when I am out shopping and such I run into children who look about 4 years old and still sucking on a paci. I don't really know what is a GOOD and BAD age for them, but I do know that once they have developed all their top teeth it can cause over bite or slanting of the front teeth, which may need correction later. I was lucky, my daughter just seemed to get herself off the paci at about 6 months, she just didn't want it anymore
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 7:56 AM on May. 1, 2010

• I took my kids' binkies away the day before their first birthday.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 7:58 AM on May. 1, 2010

• At birth. I never gave my children a binky at all. It's a horrible habit to get started on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on May. 1, 2010

• I think their 1st birthday is entirely too long to have a paci!!
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 8:37 AM on May. 1, 2010

• My DD had one until almost 4. It was a little extreme, I'll admit. Beginning around 18 mos it use was limited, and then continued to limit it more and more until it was gone. IDK exactly why my DD was so attached to it, but she was. At 18 mos, the rule was that it was only for resting times. Resting on the couch before nap and bed time, in her bed, in my bed. Around 2, it was only IN bed. Not on the couch. 3-31/2 it was only allowed in HER bed. If she woke and came to my room at night or early in the morning, it had to stay in her bed. Just before 4 yrs old, she put it under her pillow for the binky fairy, who comes, and takes binkys to give to new babies, and leaves a big girl present in its place. Insane? Yes. Thankfully, DS NEVER took one.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:39 AM on May. 1, 2010

• I think past the first bithday is too long. I am wondering at what point do the lovey's go away. I am starting to limit the use only to bed time or in the car when it is nap time or bed time but I think 2 is a little old to walking around with a lovey.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:42 AM on May. 1, 2010

• My husband and I both are of the mindset that if the kid can walk, he/she is too old. With the exception of nap and bedtime and possibly when traveling.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 8:54 AM on May. 1, 2010

• They're great for the first month to satisfy the sucking reflex. But, after a month or so, there's no physical need for a pacifier & it just becomes a security object. The longer they are allowed to have it, the more attached to it they become & then it becomes a major ordeal to break them of it. I say why put your child through that, get rid of it after a few weeks or so.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 9:21 AM on May. 1, 2010

• None of my 3 children would ever accept a paci. If they did I would make sure it was gone by 1.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on May. 1, 2010

• My 1st tossed hers when she was 14 months on her own and my second NEVER took it.My 1st did because she was Colic :/ So having her use one was AWESOME lol. So I think by 15 10 18 months is a good time to take it away.
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 9:55 AM on May. 1, 2010