Did I do something wrong?

I gave birth to my son at 38 weeks exactly and he weighed 7lbs 14oz and then most recently I gave birth to my daughter at 38 weeks 2 days and she weighed only 5lbs 15oz. I knew she was small as soon as I saw her but the doctors said she was fine besides needing to be stimulated a little bit. I took fertility drugs to get pregnant with her so I knew exactly how far along I was so my due date could not have been that far off if any at all. I just am still in shock over how small she was at birth but I am happy to say she has been gaining an oz and a half a day which is above average so Im very happy about that. I just wonder sometimes if I should have ate more or just done something cause she was full term and was still so tiny. I took my prenatles but occasionally forgot some days. What could it have been?

LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Asked by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 7:41 AM on May. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't drive yourself crazy trying to find an answer. Every baby is different and grows at different paces. Alot of people think that if big babies run in the family then their baby will be the same, but this is far from the truth. BIG (and I mean BIG) women run in our family and I was born 4lbs 8oz. Perfectly healthy, no extended hospital stay, and today I am still a small girl (102lbs) who has 8lb babies Sounds like your daughter is just a very petite little girl =).
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 7:53 AM on May. 1, 2010

• I had a full term baby that weighted at less than 5 pounds, healthy, my placenta was small and didn't gain because of that.

Answer by older at 7:59 AM on May. 1, 2010

• Why? Simply because every child is different. It was nothing you did, or could have done to change it. :)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:29 AM on May. 1, 2010

• Mine was born on her due date at 40 weeks and weighed in at less than 6 lbs. I wouldn't worry about it. As long as the baby is healthy and eating well and developmentally on track then don't beat yourself up about it. My LO is now almost 2 and doesn't even weigh 22lbs and is just outgrowing 12 mo clothes. Congratulations and good luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:38 AM on May. 1, 2010

• Sometimes girls can weigh less than boys. It also depends on her body type even as a baby she may not carry as much as your son did. My son was born at 39w 6d and he weighed 7.14 daughter1 born at 37w weighed 6.8 daughter2 born at 37w weighed 7.2 daughter3 born at 38 weeks weighed 7.0. Even now at 5, 4, 14m my daughters are petite and skinny.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on May. 1, 2010

• You didn't do anything wrong. My first DD was 2 weeks late and she only weighed 5 lb 9 oz My last DD weight 6 lb. She is 15 months now and only weights 17 pounds. All babys are diffrent. All that matters is that she is healthy... Congratulation by the way...
    AmandaNaus

Answer by AmandaNaus at 9:32 AM on May. 1, 2010

• Just asking, what sort of diet did you eat while pregnant? Was it a high carb diet low in fat and protein? Next time maybe try eating more good fat and protein. Plus at 38 weeks if she'd gone the full 42 weeks she probably/may have been 7-8 pounds. Were you induced? If so, next time don't get induced.

Otherwise, probably not.

My sons Great Great Nana only gained 5-10 lbs per pregnancy in the 20's 30's bc she was told by her doctor to do this OR ELSE, no she did not drink/smoke. Her babies were 4-5 pounds (all 5). My Great Nana was told by her midwife to drink extra milk (raw) and eat eggs and otherwise eat to satisfy hunger and her babies were all 8-11 pounds (all 10 the girls were always the smaller ones). I think diet does matter. They're both large farm women, so it wasn't pelvic size or anything. They don't know how many weeks pg.

And your little girl may just be small or maybe the placenta wasn't perfect.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on May. 1, 2010

• You didn't do anything wrong. Girls are generally smaller than boys, so you are OK. Every baby is different, no worries ;)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on May. 1, 2010

• I never diet lol expecially when Im pregnant but yes I was induced cause of high blood pressure. Thanks for all the responses I feel a little better :)
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 1:46 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Stress can make girls small and it affects girl more than boys. There is just a medical news story out today about a stress study.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/187243.php

Breastfeeding will provide proper brain development and protect her from RSV. You need to be extra careful not to expose her to others for 6-8 weeks even breastfeeding.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:54 PM on May. 1, 2010