Sippy Cup Suggestions? =)

I am really trying to get my son off of his bottle. He's been off of formula for a little while now but he refuses to drink from anything but his bottle, whether it be whole milk or watered down juice. We have bought 3 different kind of sippy cups but he keeps rejecting them all. So if you have any suggestions i'd love to hear them =)

Ctink8189

Asked by Ctink8189 at 8:39 AM on May. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What worked with us was just sticking it out!
    we gave our's the cup and all 3 refused. but we were persistant with them and sure enough, when they were thirsty enough... they drank. it took us about 5-7 hours til they realized they wernt winning this battle. and after that, there were no problems. we were bottle free. (keep paitent, he may cry ALOT) hope this works. good luck
    OliveMyLoves

Answer by OliveMyLoves at 9:02 AM on May. 1, 2010

• My son hated regular sippy cups. And he would make a HUGE mess with them. He learned to drink out of a straw while we were at dinner one night so I got him a straw sippy cup and he liked that so I took the bottle cold turkey and he's been perfectly fine ever since :) Good Luck
    Nesa_Z

Answer by Nesa_Z at 10:33 AM on May. 1, 2010

• My dd used the one with the rubber mouth piece to start. She just now started using the plastic ones and she is 18 months old. We had to switch because she learned how to bite down on the mouth piece to make milk come out faster and it was all over the place. I wouldn't let my kid go all day without drinking anything however. I would just try putting diffrent fluids in it. Juice, chocolate milk. Something sweet and diffrent that you wouldn't put in a bottle to entice him to drink it. Not soda though. Lol!
    MILFInProgress

Answer by MILFInProgress at 10:40 AM on May. 1, 2010

• oh and really I wouldn't make such a big deal on weaniing off the bottle. Whats the hurry? Its not going to hurt him to keep using it. I have learned with my daughter that every kid has their own time table. Don't worry he won't be drinking a bottle in college. Not even kindergarden. Maybe preschool, but I think just being around peers would cure that, lol.
    MILFInProgress

Answer by MILFInProgress at 10:42 AM on May. 1, 2010

• we took the bottles away cold turkey. on a specific day we talked it up that the bottles were going to go to a baby who needed them. I had them put the bottles in the bag themselves and then into the car.

there were some rough nights following but shortly they just stopped.

if he knows you'll go back to the bottle if he keeps complaining about it of course he's not going to accept a cup.

my youngest LOVED the sport type sippy cup/water bottle (got mine at walmart in the baby section)
    Anonymous

• We had sipply cup issues too so we started with a sports bottle which can be messy but once she adjusted we went to sippy cups. I bought a ton before I found one she likes and basically we did cold turkey. No bottles after 12mos here. Now she loves the straw ones! She is 2 now tho....
    Anonymous

• How about trying the kind with the straw? It might be fun for him.
    Otherwise, just let him have his bottle till he is ready :)
    grace2joy

Answer by grace2joy at 3:12 PM on May. 2, 2010

• ok go to bornfree.com they have a soft tipped sippy cup. it worked really well for my son. dd is having issues but my son has been on his sippu cup for years now. its a really good sippy cup kinda like a bottle nipple and the cup is shaped like a bottle too. good luck
    http://www.newbornfree.com/
    i made sure that that was the link
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 5:28 PM on May. 2, 2010

• How old is he? My older son was still on his bottle until he was 21 months. I made a big fuss one day about us packing up all the bottles and saying goodbye to them. Then for about a week when he asked for his bottle, I reminded him that we said bye bye to them. He looked sad, said "bye bye bottles" every day for about a week and then that was it. We were using the soft tip sippys by Nuby but then switched to straw cups as soon as possible. BornFree just came out with a straw sippy that swivels closed that I like much better than the Nuby flip top ones we were using.
    Anonymous