Toddler teeth discoloration. Anyone have any ideas?

I've recently been noticing that my son's teeth are discolored. At the gum it looks like there is some kind of build up that does not come off. It may be enamal that isn't covering his entire tooth, and the color of it is not pearly white, it's sort of off white leaning towards brown but not totally brown. The bottoms are whitish purple and seem almost translucent.

He doesn't get a bottle and never has. He drinks water is a tiny tiny amount of apple juice in it for flavor all day long. He brushes his teeth (with me) at least three times a day, because he loves to brush his teeth.

He's been taking a prescription vitamin that has fluoride and iron in it. When he was younger he had severe yeast infections that I had to give him Diflucan for. I am wondering if this is the result of the medications or if anyone who has had experience with this might know something about it?

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on May. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like it could be calcium spots. I had this problem as a child and STILL have it today. Only thing that works for me is teeth whitener to try and even my teeth out to match them. But things are different now adays so maybe there is something out there that can solve it!
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 8:46 AM on May. 1, 2010

• Calcium.... my children have had the same problems but my kids' are caused from too much milk. Also, medications could very well cause this. the white spots sound like calcium, the browish like enamal ware. Also. research fluoride and its side affects... its not as great as it appears to be. especially in children. good luck!
    OliveMyLoves

Answer by OliveMyLoves at 8:53 AM on May. 1, 2010

• I'm a dental hygienist. It sounds more like fluorosis to me. The vitamins are most likely the cause. It won't hurt him but it doesn't look pretty. It can also do the same thing to the permanent teeth.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 8:56 AM on May. 1, 2010