Toddler teeth discoloration. Anyone have any ideas?

I've recently been noticing that my son's teeth are discolored. At the gum it looks like there is some kind of build up that does not come off. It may be enamal that isn't covering his entire tooth, and the color of it is not pearly white, it's sort of off white leaning towards brown but not totally brown. The bottoms are whitish purple and seem almost translucent.

He doesn't get a bottle and never has. He drinks water is a tiny tiny amount of apple juice in it for flavor all day long. He brushes his teeth (with me) at least three times a day, because he loves to brush his teeth.

He's been taking a prescription vitamin that has fluoride and iron in it. When he was younger he had severe yeast infections that I had to give him Diflucan for. I am wondering if this is the result of the medications or if anyone who has had experience with this might know something about it?

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on May. 1, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I would make an appointment with a Pediatric Dentist! It sounds like he may have developed "soft teeth" which can be the result of high fevers as a baby or chronic medical conditions in which a regular course of medication was required to control. I started taking my sons to the Dentist for "fun visits" (quick exam, counting their teeth, a quick cleaning), starting at age 2.

Soft Teeth can lead to more severe dental problems--even in baby teeth--such as cavities, gingivitis, lack of enamel, white spots, etc., as unaddressed problems can negatively affect the permanent teeth developing below the gum line.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:47 AM on May. 1, 2010

• Dentist, they are never to young to go to a dentist.Better to take him and find out whats up.
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 8:48 AM on May. 1, 2010

• my 20 month old has a tooth that is similar to that, my pediatrician told me it was a bruised tooth, he hasn't hit it to my knowledge but he told me it could have happened before the tooth even came in. My husband is always telling me to brush his teeth, i do but that tooth stays the same.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 8:58 AM on May. 1, 2010

• also my gums are like that and i have a light case of gingivitis, hope this helps any, i do agree though maybe you should take him to dentist just to be safe.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 9:01 AM on May. 1, 2010

• I've heard too much iron in the diet will tend to discolor their baby teeth.....your best bet will be to make an appointment with the dentist OR better yet....ask your doctor then make an appointment with a dentist/or call a dentist and ask him over the phone about it.....good luck!!!!
    Carey2006

Answer by Carey2006 at 12:13 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Definitely go see a ped dentist. If the teeth are starting to decalicify and you do nothing - you are going to have very expensive dental work in your future. If you catch it soon enough, they can reverse it with special cream you apply yourself. Our ped dentist wants to see the kiddos for the first time by 18 months AT THE LATEST
    Anonymous

• Too much fluoride. It begins to soften teeth, cause spots, wear at the enamel. Switch to a fluoride free toothpaste. No fluoride in vitamins at all-- it can soften bones. I have a post about fluoride research you can read.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:03 AM on May. 2, 2010

• Dental fluorosis occurs because of the excessive intake of fluoride either through fluoride in the water supply or through other sources. The damage in tooth development occurs between the ages of 3 months to 8 years, from the overexposure to fluoride. Excessive fluoride can cause white spots, and in severe cases, brown stains or pitting or mottling of enamel. Fluorosis cannot occur once the tooth has erupted into the oral cavity. Although it is usually the permanent teeth which are affected, occasionally the primary teeth may be involved.

PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 1:09 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I agree that going to the dentist would be your best bet. It COULD be the flouride in his pill that is causing this, or it could be soft teeth as a pp mentioned. Either way, it's best to get an official diagnosis.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 2:00 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Too much fluoride has been known to cause what you're describing.
    Anonymous