Does anyone have any good money-saving/budgeting tips???

That you actually use and that work? I feel like my husband and I are sinking every day! He has a good job and I've recently opened up my own boutique from home, but its like we never have any money! Its driving me crazy!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on May. 1, 2010 in Money & Work

• Opening a business is hard because it takes money and time. Cut out EVERYTHING you don't NEED. Be on the same page (example: both dedicated to not eating out/fast food and so on..)
    Plan your meals ahead and buy only generic brand foods. We buy great value at Walmart for example, because it's just that much cheaper and the quality is decent.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on May. 1, 2010

• Dave Ramsey, yes it works.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 9:26 AM on May. 1, 2010

• Two words: Dave Ramsey. There's a Dave Ramsey Fans group here on CM and the ladies offer tips and support.

How serious are you about saving money? How much are you willing to sacrifice? Ask yourselves that question.

Get rid of eating out. Get rid of cable/satellite. Get rid of cell phones unless absolutely necessary. Drop gym memberships. If you don't need it to survive, get rid of it. Sell it. Shop for clothing at thrift stores as much as possible. Make meal plans, shop from a list, buy store brand as much as possible, and cook from scratch. Shop around as much as possible to get the best deals. Walmart isn't always the best price, in fact I've found that it's rarely the best price. Turn your thermostat down in the cooler months and up in the hotter months to use less heat & AC. Reuse/recycle as much as possible.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:53 AM on May. 1, 2010

• I use coupons and lists. When I go shopping if it is not on my list I do not buy period! Opening a new business is hard, we own a business that is 16 years old and we in the last 5 years have really begun to see the benefits of being a business owner. I have also started a little boutique thing but I do mine in a private store, it takes time to build. We eat out once or twice a month, mainly because I like to cook but that can be a big waste of money for someone. Find a grocery store that doubles coupons that is a huge saver!

lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 10:10 AM on May. 1, 2010

• I agree with all the other post especially Michigan Mom. I used to blindly think the Walmart had to best prices. this is so untrue. I look over all the Sunday ads and find the best price and try to stock up. I also clip coupons and try to combine with a sale, but I will also buy store brand items.
    cherylw993

Answer by cherylw993 at 10:19 AM on May. 1, 2010

• I just re-read my post and realized the poor grammer. Sorry.
    cherylw993

Answer by cherylw993 at 10:22 AM on May. 1, 2010

• Know which stores double coupons up to $1. Shop discount stores like Aldi's & Save A Lot. Buy only what you need. Cut back on unnecessary expenses. Sometimes it's cheaper to un-bundle cable services. Check with your cable provider to find special deals. You can usually get better deals by visiting the local office vs calling the 800 number.

keep track of every dollar you spend. You may not realize how much you spend eating out in a month.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:26 AM on May. 1, 2010

• We had some unexpected expenses (insurance company charged us an extra 200 bucks for a mistake they made in billing, and our fridge went out, costing us 300 bucks) this past month, so we're still a bit rocky on this method, but this is what we've recently started doing:

Every other Friday, I take a notebook and I write down our current checkbook balance. Then I write down every single bill, the due date, and how much it costs. I add the bills together, and subtract the total from the checkbook balance. Out of what's left, I take out 425 bucks for groceries and gas until the next paycheck (300 total for groceries, 100 for my husband's gas, and 25 for mine). Whatever is left...we can do whatever we want with it.

Lately, however, there hasn't been anything left.

More in a new post...
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 12:17 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Regarding coupons, I rarely find any that turn out to be a good deal. For instance, I found a coupon for the yogurt I usually buy, and it was a savings of 75 cents (the yogurt costs 3.40 normally). Well, I went to the store, and they were out of that brand, so I had to look for another. I found one in the exact same size with the exact same ingredients for 2.20.

I'm seconding what people have said regarding lists, and meal plans. If it's not on the list, don't buy it. Unless, of course, you get to the store and you realize "Crap, I forgot to put milk on the list, and we've got maybe a teaspoon left." And look around to find the best deals. We buy our milk at the gas station because the good stuff is only 11 cents more than the generic brand at Wal-Mart.

I think I'm running out of room again, so one last post...
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 12:22 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Last thing, I promise.

If you go to the store and you see something you want, but don't really need, make a mental note of it. Do not buy it at that time. Go back to the store a week later, and ask yourself "Do I really want this?" If the answer is no, don't get it.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 12:24 PM on May. 1, 2010