Pack Rat??? Beginning Hoarder??? Help!

My grandmother was a pack rat and I attribute that to her having to go through the great depression.....but me?
My husband got laid off about a month ago and now we have very little money. I like to scrape together things around the house to make things "work" and to slove problems, but is it going to far to save boxes and popsicle sticks and old broken lamps etc? Before he was laid off we bought a wagon for our two little ones and I'm having a hard time throwing the huge box away. I think, I could store my kids clothes in that, or I could use the cardboard for a yard sale sign....the list goes on people!
Is this horrible behavior or am I just being thrifty?
On the other side of the story, I know I'm OCD and that when stuff that i've saved builds up, it's such an adreniline (sp?) rush to throw all this stuff away and "clean" and "organize" my house again. I hate clutter!
Anyone else out there like me???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on May. 1, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I do keep certain things that can be reused or re-purposed, whatever you want to call it... but not to the point that it causes clutter and messes, because I can't stand clutter. lol If you are letting things pile up to the point it is bothering you and saving things you "think" you might use, but don't, then maybe it could become an issue. If you are hanging onto something that you DO use, that is just being practical and there is nothing wrong with that.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:41 AM on May. 1, 2010

• OP here: I don't let it get out of hand, because I don't have the money to make it look nice and organize it. That's what sends me over the edge and I finally throw it out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on May. 1, 2010

• Just get the box and throw it away right now! If you let it go, it's only going to get worse. You will feel better. And you dont want your children thinking it's ok to keep a house like that. With junk all over the place. If you need some popcycle sticks, just go buy some. Stop saving everything! :)
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 11:13 AM on May. 1, 2010

• If you are keeping popsicle sticks to recycle or do crfts with the kids, and you put them somewhere nice and out of sight, wny not? But the broken lamps, what r your plans there? The cardboard & boxes can be stored out of the way too. it all depends on reality- if you really do plan on using something, so be it, but when a year has gone by and you've not used it....

Do you have old clothing?
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 4:33 PM on May. 1, 2010