What is a good substitute for mushrooms?

I really hate anything with mushrooms in it. There are a lot of recipes that look really tasty except for mushrooms or mushroom soup. Is there ANYTHING that can be used in place of them so I can cook more things?

FroggyFeet

Asked by FroggyFeet at 10:51 AM on May. 1, 2010 in Food & Drink

• You can usually leave out mushrooms, not sure there's a good substitute. It's usually an option to put in mushrooms. I don't think you can cook mushroom soup without them... try a different type of soup (chicken noodle, potato, etc).

Sometimes I will put olives in something that calls for mushrooms, but that's the only thing I can think of.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on May. 1, 2010

• i hate mushrooms too but i make something that calls for cream of mushroom soup, you can't tell there are mushrooms in it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on May. 1, 2010

• oh, I meant recipes like broccoli casserole that calls for mushroom soup. =]
    FroggyFeet

Answer by FroggyFeet at 10:57 AM on May. 1, 2010

• i have used a cream of celery soup, or made my own cream base with milk and cream cheese if I was out of mushroom soup (I actually love mushrooms though, lol).
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:57 AM on May. 1, 2010

• cream of mushroom soup doesnt taste like mushrooms, which is good because I absolutely hate mushrooms! Instead, you could use another cream soup, such as cream of chicken or cream of celery. It may alter the taste. Usually you can just omit mushrooms from recipes like beef stroganoff or chicken dishes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on May. 1, 2010

• When a recipe calls for cream of mushroom soup and its cooked for a long time, you will not see/taste the actual mushrooms. If its something that cooks fast, I either sub cream of chicken or cream of celery OR I will put the cream of mushroom thru a wire sieve to get the mushroom peices out. I love cube steak cooked in the crockpot with golden mushroom soup, and I don't see or taste the mushrooms in that
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 11:08 AM on May. 1, 2010

• Anyother cream of soup will do fine
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:54 PM on May. 1, 2010

• I'm allergic to mushrooms - I leave them out or use a different flavor cream soup. Green bean casserole is just as good made with cream of celery. No need to substitute, just don't add.
    Anonymous

• For broccoli casserole - you can buy cream of broccoli soup ;) I use cream of celery for my creamy cali veggie casserole.
    Anonymous