What is your definition of religion?

What is your definition of a cult?

Do you believe the two are the same? Why/Why not?

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 11:50 AM on May. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Religion, to me, is a set of rules and requirements and a way followers are supposed to live in order to get blessings in this life and the next.

A cult is a group of people bound by ideals that rule their lives and thoughts and they have a "spunky" leader they tend to follow who gives them the guidelines to follow,etc.

Yes... (organized) religion and cults are pretty much the same to me based on definitions(dictionary definition and mine).
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:54 AM on May. 1, 2010

• I believe a cult is anything that leads you to harm. I believe religion is your set of values/beliefs, and you are free to choose to believe. Religion should inspire you, uplift you and be a positive influence in your life.
    They are very simular, but like I explained, one leads you to harm, and usually does not include freedom of feeling and/or the freedom to choose, and the other allows you those choices and it is a positive part of life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on May. 1, 2010

• Religion: An organized group of people sharing the same belief systems, rituals and faith.

Cult: An organized or unorganized group of people sharing the same belief systems, rituals, and faith that can lead to harmful practices within the group or to society at large.

*Those are my definitions, not official ones. :)
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 12:52 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Religion is a group of like-minded people joined together by their beliefs in intangible, illogical things which someone else has convinced them are true. Occasionally, religion results in mass genocide.

A cult is a group of like-minded people joined together by their beliefs in intangible, illogical things which someone else has convinced them are true. Occasionally, cults result in mass suicide.

All in all, very much the same to me. The difference is whether they're drinking wine or kool-aid.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 3:35 PM on May. 1, 2010

I agree with this fullt.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 3:44 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Both are groups that humans join, when they are influenced to think they need to follow something. Neither are necessary or productive, IMO, in that they perpetuate a false sense of dis-empowerment in mankind.
    Allow

Answer by Allow at 4:37 PM on May. 1, 2010

• No they are not the same. Cults are hard to join, but even harder to leave. With Most religions people freely come and go.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:15 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Organized Religious Groups and Cults are basically the same thing. They are a group of people bound together based on their interpretations of beliefs of the world around them... Be their beliefs be based on myth, nature or something else... The only real difference between the two is the number of followers.

All Organized Religious Groups START as Cults! It's only through growth that they become "Religions"

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:15 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Ryansmom - that is one of many misconceptions about Cults. While there ARE those cults who are very elitist and possessive of their members, the majority are not. In fact the majority of new and growing religious groups DO fall in to the "cult" category, and do permit free joining and free leaving. Those cults who end up in the news are thankfully the minority... Most cults are small religious sects just finding their footing which have a small membership. As the movement grows, they become better known and will gain the "stamp of authenticity"... But in most cases those groups which are outwardly seen as "cults" are simply young religious groups...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:22 PM on May. 1, 2010

• What is your definition of a cult? can cover any religion.. but if you want how I WOULD describe a cult,it would be a belief system (individual or group) that actually HARMS another person.  But the actual definition is actually more basic

a particular system of religious worship, esp. with reference to its rites and ceremonies.

2.
    an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, esp. as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.

3.
    the object of such devotion.

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:44 PM on May. 1, 2010