My grandmother passed away last night...so sad.

She was so sweet and kind. She loved my kids so much. She would tell me how lucky I was to have them, and I am. We use to go shopping together, and I would go to her house to eat. Later years, she would come to mine to eat ;)

I am glad to know my kids presence in her later years were a huge joy to her ;)

My son is 6.5 and he will be attending the funeral, do you think its ok?

I want to teach him about death too and help him to understand what is happening.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:38 PM on May. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'm sorry for your loss. Yes, I think it's important to bring your kids to their loved ones funeral to say good bye. GL
    Anonymous

• I am soooo sorry for your loss!!!! My grandma is my life and it I would crumble if I lost her( I know it will happen one day and whenever that is I will not be prepared) It sounds like you had the same relationship with yours and for that you should feel grateful which I am sure you do. It is very good to take your children. My brother was 5 I think when my great grandpa passed and he went. My mom explained that Pop-pop was very sick and that his body could not hold on anymore and that he was not in pain anymore. If you believe in heaven tell your children that is where she is and that loves them very much. It might be harder if they were older. I lost my grandpa when I was 18 and that harder for me then my great grandpa when I was 13. Also teach them that they should be grateful that she was able to be in their lives for this long some people don't even get that with their great grandparents.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 12:56 PM on May. 1, 2010

• *hugs*. I lost my grandfather last summer unexpectedly and my oldest was 5 at the time.

All my kids came with us but they didnt do the viewing or burial part. They were there and they came with us afterwards to my grandmothers house and comforted her in their childlike way. It helped her a lot to have them there after the events of the morning.

My oldest and I discussed death and he understood. I just kept the terms simple for him. He still asks questions from time to time and we rediscuss it but it wasnt traumatic for any of my kids or anything.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:51 PM on May. 1, 2010

• I am sorry for your loss Bless you and your family I will be keeping a good thought for you.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 2:24 PM on May. 1, 2010