Travelling with baby

Basic facts: My son will be 2 years old in June. Me and my husband are divorced and I get my son 2 days a week. My step mom hasn't seen the baby in about a year and a half, mainly because she lives 3 hours away.
My question is this, will it hurt my baby to take the 3 hour trip to see my stepmom? We were wanting to get together for mothers day so should could see me and my baby for the first time in a long time. My ex husband completely disagrees and said that he doesn't want the baby to go anywhere. Should I take my son anyways?

skooshy

Asked by skooshy at 12:59 PM on May. 1, 2010 in Travel

Level 1 (-10 Credits)
  • Well your child is certainly old enough to make the trip. I took my son on a five hour trip when he was less than a year old, and I took him on a two day trip when he was less than a month old. If you are traveling out of state I'd make sure your ex husband is on board with the idea because it can be complicated when one parent wants to cross state lines and the other is against it or hasn't given permission.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 1:15 PM on May. 1, 2010

• does your ex have full custody of her? if so, does your stepmom live out of state? if so, i wouldn't recommend it. my papers don't state anything about going out of state, but if my ex ever takes my girls out of state, i WILL put restrictions on visitation through court.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 1:16 PM on May. 1, 2010

• My step mom lives in the same state as me. There is nothing in the mediation papers about traveling with him. We share custody of our son.
    skooshy

Answer by skooshy at 1:18 PM on May. 1, 2010

• oops, sorry, put her instead of him. was thinking of my girls. lol. if it is same state, you're fine, for sure. i was traveling long distances (5-10 hour drives) with my 3 month old. i'm a firm believer in children getting to experience things starting from the very beginning (my daughters have been eating in restaurants, no mcdonalds, since they were 3 weeks old..) as long as you have everything needed, there is no problem with driving for 3 hours with a 2 year old.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 1:26 PM on May. 1, 2010

• I'm all for my son having new experiences, seeing new people, doing new things. My husband, on the other hand, seems to think that I should stay home with the baby and go nowhere, doing nothing, seeing no one. He finally feels as though he has some sort of control of me and is exercising that to the fullest.
    When my baby is with me, he wants nothing more than to go outside. A stick and the backyard will keep him fascinated for hours. He has so much more freedom when he is with me.
    My ex husband is just getting so aggravating. I'll be sure to be home on time so he doesn't know the difference. Even if he does find out, there is nothing he can do.
    skooshy

Answer by skooshy at 1:33 PM on May. 1, 2010

• i wouldn't go without letting him know. it's your time with your son. if you have shared custody, then you have just as much right to take him to your stepmothers... BUT, taking him so far without letting the father know maaaay be frowned upon. just let him know that you will be going, but you will be back in time.... and if he decides to try to stop you from going (not letting your son go with you, changing times, etc) then you should go to court for that... he can get into a lot of trouble if he keeps your son from you.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 1:52 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Either I can go quietly and be home in time, or fight and argue the point with him, which will get us nowhere. I'm afraid of what he might do if I let him know before hand. Even if he is at home and I'm just leaving, he will still do anything to stop me. I don't want to cause any commotion around my son. Going through the courts will only put a halt to matters.

I just want to be able to spend mothers day with the only mother I've truly known, even though she is only my step mom.

skooshy

Answer by skooshy at 2:02 PM on May. 1, 2010

• I have traveled 3 hour trips since my kids were a month old, that should be fine. I would go and just not tell him if you share custody it should be fine. He should have no say in what you do while its your time unless its in your custody papers that you can not go anywhere and as long as you have them home in time for his turn it should not be an issue.
    Anonymous