how do u get your kids to clean up and listen?

My kids suddenly feel they only need to answer to there father. he works sun uo to sun down. so most of the time its me. they are 3 and 2 years old, and refsue to listen to me. time outs are to no avial, getting them to clean up there toys is a huge ordeal. the other night it took me haveing my daughter sit in time out for an extended period of time because my son cleaned up her stuff, finally she put the last two toys away. I cant take it any more. I dont feel well today. I have like no energry what so ever and am not in the mood for war. what do you do/have done that made them realize wow mom is serious?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:57 PM on May. 1, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• they don't get to do something fun. for example, they want to g outside and play, they have to pick thier toys up first (help them).
    Anonymous

• thanx i have tried this. it did not work. im tempted to just toss them in a trash bag and make them eran it back
    Anonymous

• I started paying my 2 and 3 year old. I know that probably sounds a little crazy. We want them to learn that if you work hard you get paid so we are starting young. I was having problems getting them to clean up until I started it. If they have toys all over the living room I ask them to clean up and I help them here and there. Once they are done cleaning up they pick a coin out of our big coin dish. Sometimes my 2 year old refuses to clean up so he doesn't get a coin and his brother will get two because he did extra cleaning. The 2 yr old does not like this and then will clean up the next couple of times until he forgets and we go through it again. They just put their coins in a little bowl and when their bowl is full we will count it and go to the dollar tree or something. I am actually quite surprised at how well it is working and how much less I have to fight them to clean up.
    Anonymous

• Thank you! i will have to try this! my son loves money. i do pay him for makeing his own bed without being told, only a dime or so and he likes this, ill have to employ it for cleaning up too!
    Anonymous

• I have a similar problem with my two. My 8 year old is special needs and has gotten away with lots so we're trying to make up for lost time. His brother is 2. A friend gave me. Some hand prints (small, colorful) and I wrote their names on 5 hands each. They get one a day for helping and doing their chores. When they earn all five we get to go to the dollar store for treats! I've been doing it almost a week and so far it's helped!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 2:41 PM on May. 1, 2010

• WIth my kids, I help them keep the house clean by everything having a place, and getting rid of things we don't need or have space for. Also, they only get out one game/ toy at a time, and when it's time to clean, I help them. That's how they learn.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 3:39 PM on May. 1, 2010

• My theory is, if they don't care enough about their toys to pick them up when they are told, then they don't deserve to have them. I give my children a set amoun of time to pick up, then I start picking up, and if I have to pick it up, then it goes in the garbage. I've only had to throw away one small toy of my dd and a couple small balls of my ds. It's amazing how motivated they can be when they know that they might lose the privilege of having some of their toys.
    Anonymous

• If they don't clean it up, I take it away. When my son asks for it over the next few days, I explain to him why he still can't have it. (I take the toys away for about a week- it gets the point across a lot better for us). Also, I tell him that he can't move onto the next toy until he cleans up the first mess. Sometimes I have to pick up the first few items and continue to remind him to clean up the mess- but he usually gets it cleaned up within 5-10 minutes. I have a 2 1/2 year old and a 2 month old...
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:38 PM on May. 1, 2010

• one thing I tried and it REALLY works...
    get post it notes with different "chores" written on each one, posted on their closet door. (i.e. make your bed, put your toys in toy box, ect...)
    when they get each note done bring it to you so you can check it.
    I call them chores b/c they feel older and like that. btw they are 6 and 4.
    They seem to feel more accomplished with each post it they take down.
    Hope that helps
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 4:21 PM on May. 2, 2010