what to expect.

My sil asked if dh and I could watch her 14 month old son for a weekend in a few weeks. I would like to do it, but other than my 4 month old dd I have no exerience with children. I don't really know what to expect such as how to keep him entertained. We also have an opportunity to go to brunch on one of those days, but I'm not sure if we should bring him or just cancel. I know I can asked my sil these questions, but I wanted to get some more info before I make a decision. BTW he does seem like a well behaved little boy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:58 PM on May. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• If you haven't had any experience with this kid be prepared. He may seem well behaved around his mother but kids can act totally different around other people.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 2:11 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Hopefully mom will give you his favorite toys/ etc to help keep him entertained. Can you hang out at his house for an afternoon or so before taking him, to see what he likes/ what he does and get him a little used to you?
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 2:28 PM on May. 1, 2010

• This is what I observe when I see "misbehaving" children in resturants, they seem very BORED. Take him some snacks and some small quiet entertaining toys, make sure he isn't sleepy when you go also. I have 5 kids 8 and under, I have never had a problem with them in public. Go spend some time with him at his house so, you can get a feel of how he acts. Take him to the grocery store away from his mom and see how he acts with just you. My nephew is an angel with me and a "demon" with his mom.
    Anonymous

• You should get some suggestions from his parents ahead of time on baby proofing your house. That's one thing I would think of ahead of time... with your own child, you start removing danger items as they're just about to become an issue, but I remember our friends had a child 9 months ahead of our daughter and we hadn't realized all the things he could reach or that he was interested in that were not an issue for our daughter yet. Other than that, I would just expect to have fun. It will probably be fun for you to have a little one toddling around, maybe saying a word or two... Kids at that age are very sweet and very entertaining. I think you can do brunch, just be prepared with your own appetizer and a little entertainment -- like 2 crayons and a little pad of paper. Or if he eats crayons, a couple of books for him to look at. Again, the parents can give you suggestions since I'm sure they've done it.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:37 PM on May. 1, 2010