WORRIED

DOES YOUR CHILD BY LAW HAVE TO BE IN PRE-K ? (LOUISIANA) DID YOUR CHILD GO TO PRE-K OR JUST KINDERGARTEN ?
AND DO YOU THINK MY KID WILL BE OK IF SHE DOESN'T GO TO PRE-K ...EX. KNOW EVERYTHING NEEDED FOR KINDERGARTEN ? THIS HAS BEEN WORRYING ME AND DH !

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on May. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• call the school and ask
    Anonymous

• sry hit enter and wasnt done... here the child doesnt have to go to pre k.. but im all the way in sc
    Anonymous

• I think it would be just fine, I'm not sending my dd. I don't think they can make you make her go to prek.
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 2:13 PM on May. 1, 2010

• If money is the problem, why your child is not in preK, have you looked into Head Start? Here's a link if you are interested: www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/ohs.  

I don't think ANY state mandates preschool, but there is a push for ACCESS to Preschool for all children/families who WANT it. That means states are supposed to figure out how to get all kids into PreK if the parents are requesting it.

kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 2:14 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Here our children don't have to go to K-4 but there is a huge difference in the children that do and the children that don't. Then the 5-K teachers have a problem because half the class is on target and know their basic numbers, letters, and writing, and the other half is behind. So if your school offers it, I would recommend taking it unless you are really going to dedicate time to teaching your child at home.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 2:28 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Pre-K is not a must. However I have spoken to quite a few Teachers who agree that kids who usually are not sent to Pre-K are considerably further behind in Kindergarten then the kids who did not. Which will push forward grade year to grade year. I am not trying to scare you, some parents are really good Teachers themselves and can teach their kids the basics. I am not a Teacher, I just don't have the patience or skills to teach.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 2:29 PM on May. 1, 2010

• In NC, Kindergarten is an official grade now. Pre-K is the new kindergarten which was optional. You can teach your child everything needed except socialization. If you have an only child, you may want to enroll in a 3 morning a week play school to get him/her use to the structure and being with other children. (I know I assumed you are a SAHM and have an only child, but.......)
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 2:48 PM on May. 1, 2010

• I'm pretty sure it's optional.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:52 PM on May. 1, 2010

• K is an official grade in KS. Pre-K is not, but I feel it's an integral part of the child's socializing skills and being in more of a "school" setting as opposed to daycare. It teaches following directions, and reinforces basic knowledge of numbers, letters, and shapes. Besides, they learn to exercise sharing skills, and get into a daily routine with learning involved. Like taking a college-prep course in High School. I'd reccommend both!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 2:53 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Where I live children do not have to be in school until 6. Pre-k and kindergarten are optional (if you choose not to enroll in kindergarten your child has to take a placement test to be place in first grade) After touring pre-k's and talking to my sister who is an elementary school teacher I have realized that pre-k is just free daycare. We will be homeschool throughout Elementary school.

laciD

Answer by laciD at 2:56 PM on May. 1, 2010