Hell

I recently heard this and wondered what others thought.

Hell was never originally mentioned in the Bible. It was a word that was made up later. However, the word it came from comes from the Bible. Below where Jesus was crucified there was like a landfill that was called something like the modern day word Hell. So we got the word hell from a landfill. Does this 'prove' that there is no hell and that we (mankind) are just messing with a divine book and causing issues because of mistranslation and errors?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:01 PM on May. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• i don't believe that hell (where people go) is where satan is. hell, from my understanding, is being out of the presence of GOD. this, to me, is probably the worst thing ever.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 3:07 PM on May. 1, 2010

• while the word "hell" may not have been used, don't you think that is probably because it was written in HEBREW and LATIN??? If you ever read the Bible you will see more then just a few references to "hell" without using the word "hell"
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 3:08 PM on May. 1, 2010

• You are on to something! lol Depends on some translations I think. You might research that. I like your landfill info and its interesting. I agree with you about hell being mistranslated.

I think these are good scriptures that tells us that there isn't an implication that we are going to a 'hell" when we die: Psalm 146:4, and Romans 6:7, Romans 6:23
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 3:14 PM on May. 1, 2010

• There's a certain CM member who has posted a lot of info on this over the years, you'll find a lot of what she's researched here:

http://www.cafemom.com/answers/188685/HELL_what_is_it_really

(It's against TOS to name people's names when they aren't in a question - but you can tell from the answers there who I mean - search her answer history if you want more info than that, because I know she's posted more on it in other questions as well)

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:19 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Dont think it proves anything. There will always be those who can find some way to refute the evidence given for their own "side" of things.

Personally, I dont buy into it as anything more than a way to keep people fearing and worried and under control BUT thats me. I wouldnt buy into it existing no matter what evidence was tossed my way to prove it LOL.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:36 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Well honestly there is a Hebrew word that directly means hell. Though it is not used in the bible. So it is a great possibility the bible never mentions hell at all.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 4:30 PM on May. 1, 2010

• The belief in Hell as a place where one goes wasn't common until around the third century. There is not only no mention of Hell in the bible the words that are commonly mis-translated to mean hell are just that... If you actually do the research around them and their meanings, you'd see a completely different picture. Also, Hell is not and was not a teaching of the Jews...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:02 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Wouldn't it be great to have all the orginal works and have scholors who will be unbiased that have NO connection to any religion, translate it correctly.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:14 PM on May. 1, 2010

• In which TRANSLATION are you talking about m2KnL? That is the problem. You are talking about translations. Until you go back to the oldest known documents you will be misinformed.
    Anonymous

• Those word were originally meant to mean afterlife not hell. The only time 'hell' is actually mentioned it is a landfill.
    Anonymous