Costs of having kids...

I always hear people talking about the costs of having children.
What specifically do they mean?

I just had my first (almost 6 months) and we're considering having #2 somewhat soon.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not naive about how much it is to raise a child, its just that it hasnt been too bad so far (and we had to deal with some medical issues recently).
Maybe it's because we had family/friends give us pretty much all the clothes/toys/furniture we need and havent had to buy much so far. Plus I breastfeed so I dont have to worry about formula.

We have and I know we will continue to need to spend money on several things but it just hasn't been as bad as the "horror stories" I've heard about how expensive it is to raise children.

Please tell me your experiences.....

Munchkin09

Asked by Munchkin09 at 3:02 PM on May. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my thing is... i really wish i could send my 4 year old back to gymnastics.. and my 3 year old to dance... but i can't afford it. all the things they want, i have to look seriously to see if i can afford to get them what they want. but then, i'm a single mom who has to work... yet childcare costs as much as i work for.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 3:05 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Wait until they are a little older and you'll have lessons, school book costs, school supplies, field trips. It's amazing how much money your going to spend sending your child to school.

Anonymous

• Ya i would have to say alot of it is school right now my son will be in kindergarten and my daughter will be in first grade just registration all together will be $190. then i have to think of lunches and all the field trips. then once they start getting into the higher grades you have to pay for the sports if they play in those and drivers ed and any other thing they want to do then. Plus college. Oh how could i forget the groceries that can take a good bit of your paycheck because they are like bottomless pits during growth spurts lol at least my kids are.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 3:13 PM on May. 1, 2010

• School fundraisers
    After school activities
    Dentist appt
    Parties
    School supplies, about $40 - $50 EACH (multiple kids)
    Teachers/school gifts
    That cool scooter
    Christmas gets bigger right? lol
    Costumes, well three costumes if you have 3 kids, even the school has performances or special dress up days
    YOu probably have nieces and nephews by now that you want to spoil
    Your friends might be having kids.....baby shower gifts for everyone

My point.....it never ends

3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 3:26 PM on May. 1, 2010

• I'm with you. We were pretty lucky to get a lot of the big stuff taken care of by our parents. I breastfeed and we use cloth diapers, so we've saved a lot of money right there. We have good medical insurance, so that hasn't been an issue, either. I'm sure as she gets older we'll be shelling out way more money than we are right now.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:47 PM on May. 1, 2010

• We homeschool so honestly, it isn't that expensive. We don't have to pay for school pictures or fundraisers, teacher's gifts, or school lunches. Our field trips are either low cost or free, they take a free Tae Kwon Do class, we use free or inexpensive curriculum and we buy school supplies at the end of summer when all the stores put them on sale and stock up.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 4:08 PM on May. 1, 2010

• sure they cost....but you make do with what you have.

we just adjusted everything to manage. a strong household budget is Key to making it work.

babies are cheap compared to school age - its getting pricey - monthly 'food days', field trips, fundraisers, book orders, school suplies in september (about $200 for 3 kids supplies not including the school fees)

then the extra curricular - my oldest is in piano $100 a month, middle is in competitive trampoline $200 a month, youngest is in gymnastics $180. Sparks and brownies and guides $300 for the year.

babies are definitely cheap. lol
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:49 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Just wait - it's costing me an arm and a leg just to feed my 10 and 12 year old boys (I also have an 8 year old daughter and a 17 month old son), and they haven't even hit their teen years!! I remember how much food my brothers used to put away. And the extra curriculars are very expensive depending on their interests.

Answer by missanc at 5:19 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Everyone was telling me raising a baby was going to be so costly. I had my DD at 20, found out unexpectantly that I was pregnant and everyone freaked about money. Everyone thought THEY would have to support my DD.
    Guess how many times I've asked anyone for anything. NONE! I breastfeed so that wipes out the formula cost. I only spend $20-40 a month on diapers and wipes. Clothes, I had TONS before having DD and had a variety of sizes. Walmart has the garanimals for $3 a piece, they are super cute and I've bought a bunch of those so I'm really not spending much. She's barely been sick so I have no health care costs.
    I know she's only almost 7 months but it hasn't been hard financially AT ALL for me. People fussed and fussed before but now wonder how I can raise her and add a few more in the mix and support them too without begging for money or asking for anything. All of my secret savings and smart shopping nobody knows about=]
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 5:23 PM on May. 1, 2010

• How much really depends on what you buy. Most things advertised are unnecessary or can be found cheaper used or freecycled.
    We cloth diaper, use cloth wipes and breastfeed. No excessive baby gear. The floor is always free.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 6:02 PM on May. 1, 2010