whats your view on when a child should be taken off...

A bottle/breast. A passy. And the age they should be potty trained by.

robinalbright

Asked by robinalbright at 3:09 PM on May. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• I never really gave my kids a passy, so i can't commit there.
    I had my oldest off the bottle by 12 month
    but my youngest was Breastfed until he was 19months old

I think it depends on what works for you and your children.
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 3:14 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Start potty training when the child starts walking good. (my oppinion).   I never had my kids on passifiers. Took my kids off the bottle at a year old. 

Answer by louise2 at 3:14 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Bottle around 12 months. I think children should breastfeed as long as the mother and child is comfortable doing so. For both of mine that was 14 months. My children never took pacifiers. I started potty training both of mine between 16 and 18 months. Both were completely potty trained by 22 months. I think most parents wait to long to begin potty training.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 3:20 PM on May. 1, 2010

• They recommend breastfeeding for 1 year...I breastfed for 18 months with my daughter... basically until i she learned how to actually bite with the 2 teeth she had... and my son is 10 months and I'm gonna stop soon cuz he has a tooth and he's learning how to bite... I think you should breastfeed until they get teeth and learn to bite... Bottle is different that's not my department I have no idea... My 10 month old is already using a sippy cup with juice though so.... maybe you can stop giving your kid a bottle...and my daughter stopped using a pacifier around 1 i'd say...maybe even before that...and my son has never really been interested...he sucks his thumb instead
    mommy492006

Answer by mommy492006 at 3:22 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Bottle, breast and pacifier...when they are ready to give it up. They won't do it forever, they are only babies so long and kids and adults for a long time, so, when they wean on their own. Potty trained when they are showing every sign and are ready, if you wait until then, they can be taught in a week or less.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:28 PM on May. 1, 2010

• My first daughter, we took her off the bottle and the passy at 12 months. She just fell asleep without both of them one night (we usually fed her a bottle before bed and gave her her passy) and we just never gave them back, and she did fine. And with our son, we plan to do the same thing. I don't really agree with kids having a passy after 1yr....but everyone is different. I'd like to have all my kids off the bottle and passy by age 1. And it would be AWESOME if my daughter could be potty trained by age 3, but we haven't gotten there yet, so I dunno.
    Anonymous

• i took my daughter off the bottle at one year.
    my son was two because he sister was just born. it was hard for him to not a have a bottle when she did.
    my son wasn't taken off a binkie until he was about 2, too.
    my daughter is 18 months and still on the binkie. i will soon be trying to wing her off of it.
    oh and potty training we started my son at two. we put him on the potty. he got it right away. he rarely had accidents since day one! except a couple of sleep walking into my closet crying and peeing everywhere. poor baby. we will do the same with the daughter if she doesn't show interest in it before.
    it all depends on the baby and the parents. i do disagree with a four year old running around with a binkie and bottle. so hopefully you wing him/her before.
    my niece wore a pull up until she 5 or 6. some kids take more time. my friend had a bladder problem until she was in high school.
    summerdaile

Answer by summerdaile at 4:11 PM on May. 1, 2010

• There is no set age for any of that and a lot of factors calculate into the "right" age. My son is "normal" and he never took a paci and was PTed at 2.5, son #2 was day trained when he came to us at 3 years old he wet the bed at night that stopped around 4, he was on a sippy cup at 3 that stopped within months of coming to us, my daughter #1 was "normal" and was off the paci (transferred from paci to finger)at 2.5 and PTed at 15 months, daughter #2 was not on a paci she sucked her thumb she was day trained at 3 night trained completely at 4 she has Autism, daughter #3 is normal never on a paci she also sucks her thumb was BF'd until 13 months when she gave it up and is now PTing at 14 months. The three older ones where off the bottle at 9-12

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:13 PM on May. 1, 2010

• months and all took open top cups by 14 months except daughter #3 who still uses a sippy cup at 4 because she puts her food in the cup. My 14 month old has the ability to walk but, doesn't want to because the older kids carry her around so we are not waiting on her to walk to be PTed
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 4:14 PM on May. 1, 2010

• mine never had pacifiers

they breastfed until they were done - self weaned at 9 mo, 5mo, and 12 mo.

I took the bottle away at 2 for the first 2 and #3 quit when she was 18months

potty trained by 2.5 at the latest in my books.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:35 PM on May. 1, 2010