Has the recession effected you? and how do you "make it" as a parent?

Has the recession effected you financially?
If so, has it been really difficult as far as being a parent goes? Do your children need things that you can't provide them with because of money? How do you make it work?
If you knew then what you know now what would you have done differently?

Munchkin09

Asked by Munchkin09 at 3:12 PM on May. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The recession hasn't affected us financially at all.

Answer by missanc at 3:13 PM on May. 1, 2010

• We have been very lucky. Two years ago the company my husband worked for went out of business. He was actually able to find a job in the same field that paid more and was closer to home before his old company closed. Other than that it hasn't affected us at all. I do know people who it has affected though. My sister in law received her master's degree last year and still has not been able to find a job in the field she went to school for. My sister is graduating from college this month and is having a hard time finding a job (teaching).
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 3:18 PM on May. 1, 2010

• I do lots of little things to get by like sign up for a as many free samples online as possible and we shop at Ralph's that way we get Ralph's rewards coupons in the mail. yesterday I got a 7$ Ralph's rewards coupon in the mail and used it to buy dinner. I also look out for the coupons like the one I used at Kohl's yesterday. It was 10$ of ANY purchase so I found kids pajamas around that price and guess what? I only paid 1.85 after the coupon!!! also I try to save our recycle so we can get money back at the recycle center. And I sell tons of unneeded things on Ebay. Money is really tight for us here and I can't seem to find anyone to hire me around here.
    mommy492006

Answer by mommy492006 at 3:18 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Yes it has. My husband is getting less hours and there is less money. It's harder to pay all the bills. I will likely have to go back to work at least part time. But it's been hard finding a job. There is literally no jobs around here and more places of business are closing every day. I hate when I have to tell my kid we can't afford to have something or do something. But then again I know that she will learn from this and hopefully be more careful about finances in her life when she's older.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 3:21 PM on May. 1, 2010

• It is tough. I stay at home, my husband doesn't make that much, and he has a huge student loan to pay off.

For example, I HAVE to have pull ups for the kids, and groceries, but other than that, we have to save up (shoes, new underwear, basketball uniform)

txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 3:57 PM on May. 1, 2010

• , I HAVE to have pull ups for the kids

No you do not!!! You can use cotton training pants and wash them.That's what I used for my kids. Pull-ups are an expensive waste and actually hinder potty training.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 4:05 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Less is more here. Cloth diapers and a potty (used since birth). Breastmilk. One wrap carrier, one mei tai carrier (did not need to buy if I didn't want to, can use a piece of cloth cheap). No over priced watered down baby food...only real table food from our plates starting recently at 7 months. No excessive baby gear either. We got as gifts 1 door jumper, 1 play mat, 1 infant to toddler rocker, 1 4-in-1 crib we use side car style and will turn into its own bed. We use the floor generously!!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:58 PM on May. 1, 2010

• It hasn't effected my family at all.
    If affected my parents, because my dad got laid off two years ago and hasn't found work.
    However, my husband has been employed with the same business for more then six years. They have seasonal layoffs, but that is due to local orders slowing temporarily and not the recession. Every year just as the last he goes back into work when the summer rolls around.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:08 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Yes, it has! My family just barely gets by and we have to rely on the states help...food stamps, medical assistance, etc. as far as things my son needs, I have gotten a lot of clothes from freecycle.org and wishuponahero.com. Also, my in-laws have always made sure that what we cant afford for our son they get it for him...not so willing to help us with anything for ourselves though. We are also able to get 1 week advances on our checks when we really need it.
    Anonymous

• No it hasn't.It hasn't affected my mother either.She just bought a house a couple months ago and a car.My dad it has because he was jobless before all this stuff happened lol.and My MIL is doing fine also.
    Anonymous