Help please?

My son has had his bottom teeth and is just now getting his top teeth. He has a habit of making the chewing motion like he's eating something without actually having food in his mouth. This makes it so that he sort of grinds his teeth together and makes that horrible teeth grinding noise that i just cannot stand. What can i do to stop this?

BTW this isn't when i'm breastfeeding..this is just when he's sitting there. He just grinds them. Horrible noise...needs to stop, has to has to.

LogansMama09

Asked by LogansMama09 at 3:12 PM on May. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I honestly don't think you can stop it... I tried to get my daughter to when she was little and it just made her do it more...she iddn't stop doing it until she was about 3
    mommy492006

Answer by mommy492006 at 3:14 PM on May. 1, 2010

• My son did it until he was 5 or 6. No way to stop them.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:25 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Im thinking that babies just are not that trainable ya know. Maybe you can give him a soft spoon to chew on to distract him.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 3:28 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Vitamin A helps. But you have to give it in VERY SMALL amounts.
    Tes...Jacksmami

Answer by Tes...Jacksmami at 3:41 PM on May. 1, 2010

• its normal. annoying but normal.

my trio each did it - I think they were just revelling in the feeling of having something in their mouth. once they got used to having teeth they quit.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:45 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Give him a teething toy to chew on. A cold/wet wash cloth, or a carrot to chew on. Just something to help him chew on something that isn't his teeth on teeth.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:05 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Distract him when he is doing this. Give him a teether or something else he can chew on so this does not become a habit.
    Zee24

Answer by Zee24 at 9:53 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Give him something to chew on. But that's about all you can do. This is one of MANY irritating things he's going to do. (Mine currently drives me buggy with constant snorting...there's something in his sinuses that can't be blown out and he WON'T take an antihistamine.)

Answer by gdiamante at 10:50 PM on May. 1, 2010

• You can offer the stuff to chew on if he is awake....but, mine did it in his sleep also. He can't have a chewy then. LOL I promise, it will end eventually.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:01 PM on May. 1, 2010