Husband is spending money like crazy..

Do you guys think its acceptable for my husband to spend like 19.00 or so everyday day here and there and then not tell me. He is away for businesss right now, but he says its all necessary stuff (his job is supposed to pay for his lodging, food and transportaion) So it seems weird that he is spending all that money. I understand that he works but I am the one that keeps track of finances. What could he be buying?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:21 PM on May. 1, 2010 in Money & Work

• How do you know he's spending this money? If it's from looking at online banking, where he's spending it should give you a clue as to what it's for. If he's telling you he's spending it, I would just come right out and ask him what he's buying. My boyfriend works, and I pay the bills, and as a long haul trucker, he spends money every week on food, showers, etc. He has an amount every week that he knows he needs about X every week. If he went over that, he wouldn't just spend it, he would tell me he needs it and why. He knows that yes, he works and therefore is earning the money, but I pay the bills and therefore need to know where the money is going so I can budget accordingly.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:24 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Twenty Dollars a day could be for anything and isn't really that big of a deal. In my opinion.
    Ask him what he's spending it on if you're concerned about it. It could be for anything.
    Talk to your husband about this.

My husband spends the money that he feels is neccisary. Then again he's frugal, so he only spends money if he has to. Gas, groceries, bills, etc.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:02 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Maybe Lottery tickets, movie rentals-when he's away,personal stuff- 20 isn't much- would you want to count for every reciept ?
    Anonymous

• My DH is military, and when he is deployed they pay for his hotel, food, and rental car and gas. He knows his per diem pay, and he can spend that money for whatever he needs. Sometimes he gets to have $50 dinners in nice restaurants if he ate cheap the day before. Luckily he only has to take money out of our account for personal things he wants to go do like museum or tourist attraction fees and stuff like that. Which he doesn't do that often. I would just ask him what he was buying if he was spending money daily. But i know like I sometimes go to Starbucks, or rent a movie, buy a book or magazine, etc. I wouldn't want DH expecting me to fully account for everything I was spending. Though $19 a day seems an odd amount...is he spending $19 every day? Or are you just estimating close to $20?
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 9:30 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Peep show??? lol j/k
    thatgirl22143

Answer by thatgirl22143 at 11:12 PM on May. 1, 2010

• I don't know but I'd be pissed. I budget our money to the penny and nickle and dimming our money away like that would make me very angry. Yeah $20 is that much but over a week or two it really adds up. Ask him what he's doing and just because you stay at home doesn't mean that you shouldn't say anything about the money. If he had to pay you for what you do it's likely that you'd make more than him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on May. 3, 2010