My son is sooo destructive.

When I tell him no he'll go to any surface and wipe it clean. He rips the posters off the walls, knocks down chairs, hits, throws things. What do I do? I've tried every kind of disclipline I can think of, time outs, spankings, i've ignored him, taken things away, sent him to his room. I don't know what to do anymore.

Tes...Jacksmami

Asked by Tes...Jacksmami at 3:30 PM on May. 1, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• you could try taking him for a psych eval.

That sounds a bot drastic-my boys are 10 and 15 and as toddlers they could destroy a room in seconds. They grow and learn and then they start leaving their dirty laundry every place.... it never ends-but its a great ride-enjoy!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:48 AM on May. 3, 2010

• Try looking at his diet and activity level- sounds like a normal boy with LOTS of pent up energy!
    We have a trampoline in the backyard and it did wonders for my little terrors!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 3:35 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Firstly I'd babyproof the house again, hanging things (ipod, purse) out of reach, putting knives on fridge, and so on. Only have books on his level that he is allowed to "read" and put your books so tightly on the shelf he can't get them out.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 3:37 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Our house is pretty baby proof, the problem I'm having is that he's big enough to knock over furniture too. :( As to his diet, that parts good. He's hypoglycemic so we watch his diet but yes he is very active. lol I'm just getting sick of being hit in the head with stuff.
    Tes...Jacksmami

Answer by Tes...Jacksmami at 3:39 PM on May. 1, 2010

• I bet! lol We tell the kids only to throw balls (and only in the basement or outside). But I have to repeat myself, like every other mother on the planet!
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 4:10 PM on May. 1, 2010

• My son has had a pretty bad attitude too. But he just loves to run so on the days when its nice outside we go out and just run run run! I try my best to keep him as busy as possible because as soon as he sits on the couch to watch t.v. after his show is over he is up and mad about something. We also have a trampoline and it works great!! We live on a farm so on the weekends when my husband is here I make him take him. Good Luck I know its so hard when they start acting that way.

Zara Nichols
    Helping Moms Work From Home
    www.4AHappyLife.com
    ZaraN

Answer by ZaraN at 4:40 PM on May. 1, 2010

• We have two, 4 & 5 now, when they were younger they destroyed 4..FOUR dressers. Made a hole in their bedroom wall big enough to put a softball into. The younger even broke their bedroom window once...got three staples in his arm at the age of two for his efforts.

Nothing we tried worked..except constant watching, although we now keep their clothes locked in the closet. two plastic bins on the shelf. They've pretty much outgrown it...I hope, it's been awhile since they've torn anything up. We also started them on an allowance...but when they ruin something.....it goes to replace what ever it was they broke.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 5:55 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Try giving him something he can take his aggression out on that isnt destructive. I worked in daycare with 3 and 4 year olds and I had one little boy that had a very big temper, and when he was upset he didnt know how to communicate to me waht he was feleing, he just got more angry if I would ask and he would start throwing things, kicking things and hurting other kids. so finally I brought in a special pillow for him. I told him everytime he was upset I wanted him to hit the pillow as much and as hard as he could until he felt better. He started doing that and because he was able to get his aggression out that way, he was then able to sit down and talk to me about what was going on. Its kinda like anger management techniques for adults, you just have to find a different way for him to channel his anger =). I hope that helped!! I know how hard it was dealing with it for 8 hours aday, I couldnt imagine how tough it is for you!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 3:14 PM on May. 2, 2010

you can also try to cut out all artificial food colors and artificial preservatives including MSG!! My sister's boys have had a complete turn around after they cut the chemical additives out of their diets.

Please watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-pnzj0c06Q

Anonymous