SAHM's, do you ALWAYS get dressed up (and you kids)to stay home and play

My Grandma made a comment about the outfits me and my kids (2.5yrs and 7mo) had on. She said she was surprised to see that we were dressed becasue when she usually stops by I am wearing PJ's or soft pants/shorts and a t-shirt or a sun dress and my kids are dressed similarly or in just a diaper. I never thought anything about it what we wear there are just some days when we need to wear PJ's all day, or days when they just wear diapers (my son recently has only been wearing underwear or a pull up because we are in the process of potty training and its just easier that way). this comment really bothered me for some reason. We are always dressed nice if we are going out but just to hang out at home I don't think we should be wearing our Sunday's best...what do you think???

OBImomma

Asked by OBImomma at 5:01 PM on May. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• YES... always got dressed. On very rare occations when someone was sick we would spend the days in pjs.

I look at it like this.... we have a friend who works in an office that doesnt require him to wear a tie but he does... ever day. Why.. because he says it is more professional, it puts him in more of a work state of mind, and people show more respect for what he is saying.

I too dressed EVERY day when the kids were little. I didnt dress to the nines but I brushed my hair, wore nice clothes with out staind, I dressed the kids (play clothes) but it was a way to teach them to get up and get ready for the day. Now that they are all in school it is just a natural progression that you get up, get dressed, and get ready for your day.
    Anonymous

• I have this weird routine.
    Mon: Shower and go to the nicest place I need to go....usually the kids library, how sad is that? lol
    Teus: Im not looking to bad, jeans and nice shirt, go to grocery.
    Wed: No shower and its a good day to do yard work.

The rest of the week I work and just fly by....
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 5:08 PM on May. 1, 2010

• If you come to my house before 12 you'll catch us all in our Pj's usually. After nap time is when we change. Nap time is shower time for me, so that when I change. But if we dont have an outing planned, which is rare, then sometimes we stay in our pj's all day.
    Christina2135

Answer by Christina2135 at 5:09 PM on May. 1, 2010

• I hang out in my pj's in my home because it makes it a lot easier to bend over and pick up kids (being pregnant right now, it especially is comfortable! lol)....I dreas in regular clothes when i'm in the yard or I go out because what you wear in your home when nobody is around or when close friends and family visit, is different then being in your yard with pj's on lol not that I don't go out to the mailbox or the garage in my pjs....
    If we are hosting dinner at our house or something where it was planned to have people over, I of course dress in my regular clothes lol Other than that, me and my kids chill out in comfy clothes at home until we need to go out to run errands etc
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 5:11 PM on May. 1, 2010

• I stay in something comfortable as often as possible. If i don't have to go anywhere and i don't have plans for someone to come over i stay in my pj's or sweat pants. Usually I let my son run around in his pj's or diaper until bath time which is right after lunch. But again if we don't have anything planned that day I let him run around in his diaper or but naked because I am potty training also. .

He was potty trained but for some reason last week he stopped, he screams and runs at the thought of the potty for some reason now.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 5:17 PM on May. 1, 2010

• My mom would always get us dressed as well as herself. This is because she always felt better when she was dressed. When she was in her PJ's all day she felt sluggish and wanted to lounge all day. When she was in her street clothes she'd feel like she was up for the day and ready to go.

I have found the same thing, though I don't always do it. My son is usually in track pants/shorts and a T-shirt.. My daughter usually just in a onsie or onsie and cotton pants. I tend to be more in my PJ's anymore.. but as the warmer weather comes that changes, because we go outside everyday. I think it's more appropriate to go out into public in your street clothes.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:37 PM on May. 1, 2010

• We get dressed just not dressed up to stay home. I don't see the point in that.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 5:40 PM on May. 1, 2010

• I always get dressed, as in out of pj's, but idk how "nice" it is.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:59 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Yes, we are almost always dressed.

I say almost always because like once or twice a month we have "pajama day" where my boys stay in their pj's all day just for fun(I dont just the boys).
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 6:03 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Most days I don't have the time or energy to "dress" myself. My 1 yr old feeds herself 4 times a day and when she's done making an absolute mess I have to pick her up and clean her up, anything I'm wearing gets dirty. Most days I can only get housework done when she's napping and I have a habit of using my shirt as a towel as I go thru the day so its covered in various things that are gross by the end of the day. If I'm leaving the house I'll put on a clean outfit but don't really care what it is as long as its clean, also depends on where I'm going, if its just walmart I could give two shits less what I look like, if its hubby's office for lunch then my hair and makeup are done and my clothes are nice. I don't care what other people think about me, especially if I don't know them so why would I dress for them? Some days its a matter of I can leave the house now or I can take a shower. Groceries have to be bought!

Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 7:03 PM on May. 1, 2010