• In the Spotlight:

If your best friend was obese and she had broken several of your chairs at your house before and she comes over again and sits in one of your brand new patio chairs and breaks it, would you make her pay for it?

I feel bad that this happened to her. I do. I know she is embarressed and she is sorry but every time she has sat in one of my chairs and heas broken it, I had to toss it...and never has she offered to pay for any of them. The worst 2 (before now) was a recliner of mine that she broke and she broke the support on one end of my couch. Now, I have bought a $600.00 patio set and I was hoping she wouldn't sit in one of the chairs, but she did and it broke!!!
I JUST picked the set up THIS morning! What should I do? Again, she didn't offer to pay..just said she was so so sorry and she cried. But I am a little mad about it. I DO have other chairs that she can sit in that she HAS sat in before that have not broke.They are built like fort knox. I don't know what to do, I'm really kinda upset about my set :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:32 PM on May. 1, 2010 in Relationships

• I would be too embarrassed to offer to pay for it, honestly. I would be horrified with myself and leave. DO NOT bring it up to her, you will only hurt her feelings further. Instead, maneuver so that she ONLY has the option of sitting in the chairs that you know won't break. Plan for her coming over and pre-empt this chair breakage.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:48 PM on May. 1, 2010

• I think it's pretty messed up she hasn't offered to pay for them. I realize she's embarrassed, but furniture is really expensive and it's not fair to you to have to keep buying new things. I wouldn't get confrontational about it, but I would ask her to buy you a new chair...at least the one for the patio set. It will be awkward, but maybe it will be a wake up call to her that she needs to do something about her weight, if not for her health then to avoid uncomfortable situations like this.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 5:38 PM on May. 1, 2010

• NOPE,
    if she had broke your other chairs why let her sit in your new ones?? you knew she was going to break it, you should of told her to sit somewhere else. Next time she comes over tell her playing aorund, hahaha your break one more chair your gonna have to pay for it..
    Anonymous

• Wow! If I were in her situation, I would offer to replace the furniture. It's only right for her to do so. I would have to ask her to replace the chair. If she is really a friend to you, she will understand and shouldn't be upset.
    WaylensMommy

Answer by WaylensMommy at 5:41 PM on May. 1, 2010

• she should have offered to pay for it my sil broke one my chairs too i was mad but i got the set for free so i didn't ask for anything in return. but i think you should ask her nicely for it to be replaced or maybe you guys can go half and half
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 5:46 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Oh my really? This is a horrible situation for you and her! She really should have offered to pay for them on her own. But I can just imagine her embarrassment I would have cried too!

How much does she weigh to have broken a brand new chair???
    Anonymous

• If you just picked up the set this morning, you could take it back to the store and not mention the part about the obese woman sitting in it...and just say it broke could you please replace it free? Just see anyways.
    Anonymous

• invest in a chair that wont break and have her use that one only. I mean she has chairs at home surely they are not all broken so something works right?
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 5:48 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Well you say tht she is your best friend... yes she should have offered to pay for it. How rude!
    I WOULD say something to her. I know that if I had just bought a new set, I am not made of money in the least and it would have been something that I finally got that was new and nice!
    Anyway. She is your best friend. You have that relationship that if something needs to be said, it should be! Yes, it may hurt her feelings that you brought it up, but she needs to be more respectful of other peoples' property and things. Sit down with her nicely and say, "hey, I know it is a sensitive subject, and you feel bad, but I just bought that patio set. I know you didn't mean to break the chair, but you did. You have broken several other pieces of furniture, and I haven't asked for anything, but I would like you to replace the patio chair." And then maybe say that there are certain chairs she CAN sit in.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 6:14 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Be honest with her without being mean or judgemental, obviously her weight is an issue. Can she afford to pay for the chair or is this the issue that's going to end your friendship? You have two choices, stop inviting her fat ass over or tell her that you care about her but realize that she has some weight issues and has broken several pieces of your furniture so if she is coming over these are the pieces that she can sit in. Time to be honest!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 6:41 PM on May. 1, 2010