House. U.S. Rep. Luis Gutierrez arrested at immigration rally. Do politicians do this on purpose?!?!? (getting arrested)

Immigrant advocates are being arrested in front of the White House fence, after sitting down and defying orders from police.

About three dozen protesters and U.S. Rep. Luis Gutierrez of Illinois joined in the civil disobedience Saturday. They held a sign saying, “Obama, Stop deporting our Families.” Some wore T-shirts that read “Arrest us, Not our Families.” Protesters are usually required to stay in motion when demonstrating in front of the White House.

Hundreds of protesters turned out for the rally at Lafayette Park, urging President Barack Obama to fulfill his campaign promises to achieve immigration reform.

Obama was to return to the White House around 2:40 p.m. after speaking at the University of Michigan. Two Marine helicopters flew overhead, but it wasn't clear if Obama was on board.
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/local-breaking-news/activists-to-protest-ariz-immi.html

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:49 PM on May. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• FINALLY!!! A CONGRESSPERSON TAKES A STAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I worked for an elected official for 2years and HATED it because they were so superficial about they're views. I COMPLETELY RESPECT HIM FOR THIS!!!! WAY TO GO REP. LUIS GUTIERREZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WISH MORE CONGRESSMEMBERS WERE MORE FORTHCOMING!!

Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 5:55 PM on May. 1, 2010

• I don't know what the intentions were of this particular rep.

But yeah, people that wear shirts that say "arrest us," are probably inviting arrest on purpose to make a scene.
    Anonymous

• Arrest all of the politicians.Then maybe we could fix our country.The spending would stop. :p
    Anonymous

• By the CNN Wire Staff

May 1, 2010 5:17 p.m. EDT

U.S. Rep. Luis Gutierrez, D-Illinois, is arrested outside the  White House during a protest Saturday.
    Anonymous

• Totally agree with vero!

Answer by older at 6:11 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Ummmm, everyone does things on purpose when they have a desire to belong to a group and stand out and fight for the so-called values of that group. KKK did, 1950s segregationists did, southerners post reconstruction did, etc, etc., Boston tea partiers, Salem witch trials, etc.
    Anonymous

• What exactly is this person hoping to accomplish by such a juvenile display of reckless self-indulgence? This is not behavior that I would condone from MY representative! I would expect MY elected representative to have a cool head, and show the class that his/her position calls for.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 8:49 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Well, as my Mamo would say, "he made a scene." The feel gooders and boo hoo babes (as evidenced above) are all over it. Meanwhile illegals are still sucking up benefits while raping and pillaging the legal population.

I suppose it was mission accomplished.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:57 PM on May. 1, 2010

• I suppose it was mission accomplished.
    ----
    I reckon so, special. He did say that either he would be arrested or Obama would change the law. Guess he showed O who was boss, didn't he??? LOLOLOLOL
    29again

Answer by 29again at 9:14 PM on May. 1, 2010