What to do about inappropriate affection from son?

My 6 year old son is very affectionate, which is a good thing! But lately when he sits on my lap he tries to kiss me on the lips in a manner that seems inappropriate for a child (more like my husband might kiss me). One might think he is copying his father's actions but the odd thing is that my husband and I rarely kiss in front of the kids and if we do its just a peck. Which leads me to another concern - where is he getting this? The only tv my kids watch is cartoons, mostly disney. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this dilemma.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:59 PM on May. 1, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Do you watch soaps? some children might pick this from them.
    Anonymous

• ANON 7:04.. she did mention that her kids/son only watches cartoons and disney. which part of it u didnt understand ??
    as for the ANON who posted this question. obviously ur son has not picked this habit from u guys (parents) or tv. he might have seen some couple doing it in a public place.
    tell him gently that what he's doing is wrong. when he's kissing on ure lips (a light peck on lips is not a problem really) steer his lips away to ure cheeks. and tell him very gently, yet with a firmness in ure voice that ''u kiss here (pointing at ure cheeks) , not here (on lips)''
    give him a kiss/peck on his cheek to demonstrate hows it done and say ''like this'' !!
    he'll be fine. u are going to be amazed how weird stuff kids do. and no, its not always that they pick it up from somewhere. most of the time its just spontaneous. children are innocent angels , they mean no harm and dont do it on purpose.our job is to correct them
    Anonymous

• You'd be surprised at the stuff they have on the disney channel. Sit and watch it...because some of the shows may show kissing on the lips.
    Anonymous

• The disney channel, has teen cartoons...and he may have seen that on there.
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 7:27 PM on May. 1, 2010

• bump all above - even if he just watches cartoons, the ads that play in between are often aimed at the later viewers. He could easily have seen a couple kissing at the supermarket, on the cover of a magazine, or at the school gate or playground - it happens! Just turn you head so the kiss lands on your cheek. No big deal. You will also find if he comes in the bathroom with you he will stare at your girly bits - it's a normal development where they really understand there are huge anatomical differences between girls and boys. You might find him with his penis out having a great look, or trying to peek at you in the bedroom- all normal, just steer him toward a new activity
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 8:03 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Plus he is at the age where you can def ask him where he seen it. Have you asked him?
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 8:38 PM on May. 1, 2010

• My little 3 yr old (soon to be 4 year old) has tried to give me a passionate kiss before. I simply deflect the kiss then smile, give him a hug and say, "Hey, only husband and wives and mommies and daddies kiss like that. One day you will be married and kiss your wife way too." He said laughed, said ok, and went back to playing.
    Anonymous

• my guess is maybe disney chanel its not as innocent as it once was!
    Anonymous

• Or even Cinderella, Snow White, and all the other classics. They all "kiss". My daughter started at the age 5 to mimic the kissing at the end of Cinderella.....Now that's she's older 8, she's out grown it.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 11:53 PM on May. 1, 2010

• ASK your child where he learned it. You can redirect his kisses to your cheeks. Also, there is nothing wrong with a child seeing parents being affectionate to each other and that includes kisses on the lips and hugging. Explain to your child that kissing on the lips is for husbands and wives.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:01 AM on May. 2, 2010