Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Divorce SAHM !?!?!?!?

I know its headed for Divorce :( I've been a SAHM for 8years, married for 11. I've read SO MANY forums/blogs that say "just know your rights" But where do I find out my rights ?? We have 2 children, a home. Do I have to leave with the kids or does daddy leave? I don't know where to start ! Do I get a Lawyer? My family lives 7hrs away, my son is in school. Im so sad and confused .... please help any way you can !!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:11 PM on May. 1, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (6)
  • Can you go back to your parents house? Yes you need a lawyer. Time for you to get a job.

    Answer by louise2 at 8:33 PM on May. 1, 2010

  • GET A LAWYER!! I can't stress this enough. Every state is different so you need to know what works in your state. In PA, we do not have equal divorce, we have equitable. That means the fact that you worked in the home instead of out of it will entitle you to more benefits. Do not get a job until you see a lawyer that specilizes in family law. 11 years is considered a long term marriage and that may also come into play. Do not leave the house, make him leave. I have been divorced more than once so message me if you need to unload because I have some idea what you are going thru.

    Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 8:37 PM on May. 1, 2010

  • Most lawyers will do a one time free, or low level fee for a consultation. Just so you can get your feet wet. In my state it is something known as community property. So when I got my divorce, I had to split my 401k with him. I am on a different retirement plan than him, so I had to give him $10.000 dollars. But see, I work full time. It was a kick in the teeth, but hey, at least I got rid of the jerk. If you are expecting to be served any day now,,protect yourself and your kiddos. Also get into counseling, with a counselor who specializes in divorce recovery,,,,good luck hon

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 PM on May. 1, 2010

  • I got mine through Legal Aid. Child support is something you can google for your state (C S Calculator). The lawyer will guide you from there.

    Answer by admckenzie at 10:02 PM on May. 1, 2010

  • Get a job and get a lawyer.

    Answer by rkoloms at 8:24 AM on May. 2, 2010

  • Everyone keeps saying GET A JOB ! Well it's not that Easy when you have 2 KIDS at Home (Ive been thru the same thing!!) !!! Day Care is Very Expensive ! And Mommy can't just leave the kids at home while she job shops, my family lived hours away and my husband traveled for his work ... I was out alot of money just hiring a sitter for all of the job interviews, when I finally landed a job I had to pay daycare even if the kids were at home sick (no pay for me but I was paying childcare anyway!) Think it Through People! Hang in there talk with your Husband and TRY to work it through for the kids at least. If you can't make things work then you move to the next step, just slow down (as long as he's not abbusive he can let you and the kids stay in the house and he can go to a friends, its much easier to house ONE guy then it is to house a woman and 2 children). Good Luck Darlin!

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on May. 2, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.