Do you know anyone who has committed suicide? And who do you blame for their death?

I've heard many say that suicide is selfish, while others believe it's some people's only option...

So for those of you who know someone who has died at their own hand, do you blame them? Society? Their family or beliefs?? Or something else??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:50 PM on May. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• i tried it once !! lolz, didnt work. my DH saved me on time. it was a stupid mistake though and i still regret it to this day. i was young. but i blame my MIL and SIL. it was my 1st wedding anniversary and they had absolutely made my life hell .. ofcourse alot of ppl wont agree with me, but i know what i was going through. so instead of making their lives miserable or taking revenge, i tried to harm myself. i know, stupid decision. oh well, ppl learn from their mistakes :)
    Anonymous

• The brother of my friend committed suicide when we were kids. He was in his 20s. He blamed his girlfriend. But now that I'm grown, I don't see how placing blame on anyone, especially someone living, is beneficial. Its a tragic thing that someone feels that's their only option and sees no other way out.
    Anonymous

• I have known a few people who have killed themselves and I tried to do it too. They thought they had no other option. They really thought they were doing the world a favor. I would never blame them.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:58 PM on May. 1, 2010

• I tried it a number of times. Each time I was found and "saved." In each case I felt it would have been what was best, but the fates weren't ready to cut my cord I guess... Now I have learned that when it's your time, it's your time, there is no blaming! It's just not worth it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:59 PM on May. 1, 2010

• I feel that people who commit suicide are in such a horrible state of mind, that they can't see how their actions effect others. They are so consumed with their illness that they see only an end...I feel very bad for people who actually commit suicide or attempt. I cannot imagine being so low that you would want to kill yourself How horrible!
    I don't think it's selfish....I think they are ill and need a LOT of help and love and support.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:01 PM on May. 1, 2010

• My 22-year-old cousin shot himself. What he did was extremely selfish and cruel. We have really young cousins who should not have experienced this loss. More so than him, I blame his parents. His father was absent, and his mother engaged in poor behavior her entire life; both were abusive. I should also mention that he was in jail for theft, and I also have a lot of contempt for that system. I wish he received mental health treatment whilst there. And I have reason to believe he was abused there, too. He was out less than a month before he robbed a pharmacy for pain killers. After being caught by the police, he said he didn't want to go back to jail and ended his life. I also blame the pain killers that he was prescribed after a car accident; he became addicted and started robbing houses for the meds. There's a lot involved. Ultimately, he is to blame for this act. I come from similar circumstances and chose a better path.
    SMH2010

Answer by SMH2010 at 9:03 PM on May. 1, 2010

• SMH:

How can you blame him, and call him selfish after everything you just described him going through?! I think blaming him is selfish.
    Just b/c you were able to crawl out from the under the rock you were under, doesn't mean all others have that capability.
    I cringe when people call suiciders selfish...it sounds so cold and without compassion.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:06 PM on May. 1, 2010

• My Aunt drove herself into a lake.
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 9:10 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Oh ryanlynn that is awful! I cannot imagine what she was going through when she did that. The state of mind one must be in is not of this world, IMO. I am so sorry!!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:11 PM on May. 1, 2010

• A kid in my class killed himself a few weeks before graduation. I didn't really know him, but I knew him as we only had 120 people in our class. I don't know what was going through his mind. Maybe he was lonely. I don't think he had too many friends. I know he wasn't picked on or bullied as that didn't really happen. I felt bad because he was in our class for 6 years and I don't think I ever talked to him. The only class he was in was my gym class and he always kept to himself. After that, I've always made an attempt to talk to more people, even if it's just to say hi, how are you. That could make a difference in someone's life.
    Anonymous