Pricing garage sale items? Comparable to ebay

I decided to have my 1st garage sale next month and would like some suggestions on how to best run a garage sale. Obviously, I would like to make the most money from what I'm selling but understand that it's a garage sale. I'm planning on selling lots of baby clothes (barely worn b/c he out grew things) some baby equiptment, kids winter coats, and maternity clothes. Also a large collection of DVD's and Kim Anderson figurines.

So what would you price things at?

What's the best way to set up?

Other advice?

prettyinpink2

Asked by prettyinpink2 at 8:57 PM on May. 1, 2010 in Home & Garden

• If the items are close to new condition, I price them at about 50% of what I paid for it new. People will bargain it down, no matter what it is or what price you put on it so put more than you want. Think how much would you yourself want to pay for it used? Also, for display, hang clothes at eye level, sort other items by category (household appliances, decorations, kids toys, stuffed animals, DVD's, books, etc). It makes it easier for people to look for what they want. Put larger items toward the front to attract more customers, and smaller items on tables in groups to the back. Have plenty of bags and change available! My first customer tried to pay me with a $20 for a small sale and I didn't have change. Luckily she got change and came back!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 9:25 PM on May. 1, 2010

• About 10 years ago, the advise I got from several sources was to price things at 5% of the original cost. But that makes it sound like it would hardly be worth doing a sale though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:20 AM on May. 2, 2010

• doesn't matter if the baby clothes are "barely" worn/used...they're used and the tags are off. NB stuff would be like 25 cents a piece and each year after that i'd add a dime to the price. If it's a blanket or something then $2 or something like that.
    DVD's like $1, baby equipment would be like $5
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on May. 2, 2010

• Price it so that you don't have to put it back in your house. Do you really want to keep storing it?
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:49 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I did a garage sale once and will probably never have another one. People were RUDE, showing up an hour or two early when we weren't even set up yet, then getting mad at me because I wouldn't let them look at stuff. Then there were those wanting to open something that was new & still sealed in its original packaging just so they could "see" if they liked it...ummm, it's in a clear bag, I think you can see it fine. Or my all time favorite, wanting to bargain down from a nickel to pennies....ummm, you're kidding, right?

Seriously, if you really want to sell your stuff, take it to a flea market - the people are nicer, you will get more patronage, the people are seriously interested in buying tuff and the jerks tend to stay home.
    Anonymous

• Having a garage sale is a lot of work. I price things low so they will go. I had a lady buy 2 lamps for 2.00 that would retail over 200.00 come back complaining that 1 of the lamps didn't have a light bulb. People will definately try to lower your price, just remember that you are trying to get rid of the stuff and you don't want to bring it back into your house. People want everything for nothing. They will be rude and they will belittle you and your stuff. Make sure to have LOTS of change. Have an electical cord near by to show them things work so they won't be coming back saying it doesn't work. I've seen silent auctions on bigger items such as bbqs, desks, bedroom sets, patio furniture. Do you have little ones that can man a lemonade stand? Thats always cute. Let us know how it went and what you decide on. Have fun!
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 5:53 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Take it from someone who has done numerous garage sales over the years ... people at garage sales are looking to buy your stuff for pennies. They are the cheapest people on earth, wanting everything for nothing. I have found it much more rewarding to give my stuff to charity.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:01 AM on May. 4, 2010