did you change your style after having kids?

i used to be in the goth punk thing but after having my first i went toward the more conservative style think that moms shouldnt dress like freaks, i have been unhappy for a long time and i think its because i havent been myself.
i encourage my kids to pick their own style and dont tell them how to dress or fix their hair and they have gotten into the goth punk thing on their own, and i taught them to ignore people's judgment and do what makes them happy. so on top of hating everything in my closest i feel like a hypocrite...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:23 PM on May. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I changed quite a bit. I used to be into the the whole goth thing and then sometimes i would dress like completely slutty but as soon as i found out i was pregnant I threw away most of them. I still have all of my ICP shirts, a pair of my tripps, and a corset but thats it.
    GabbyCayceesMom

Answer by GabbyCayceesMom at 11:02 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Well, you could revert back to your Goth days, but I am willing to bed you will embarrass the hell out of your children... and yourself. Grow up Mom.
    Anonymous

• No - I changed my style before I had kids because I was married to a control freak who told me how to dress, how to fix my hair, etc. and at the time I was so young and eager to please him that I did it. Then I had kids, grew up, and left him. I have gone back to being who I am - which isn't nearly as conservative as my ex wanted me to be. Not that I'm really out there, but I have a nice body and I dress to accentuate what I have, along with going to a salon for my hair, and wearing makeup (all of which would have been no no's for my ex).
    I think you would be able to find a happy medium, something that isn't really "out there" but that suits you more than the conservative clothes you've been wearing. Maybe wear one or two goth/punk pieces per outfit rather than a whole outfit of it. Or show your style with the jewelry you choose, or the shoes, etc.

Answer by missanc at 9:32 PM on May. 1, 2010

• The only thing I toned down was my manner of dress. But that had more to do with my weight gain than kids. I still have my core values and beliefs and I share them openly with my kids.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 9:33 PM on May. 1, 2010

• I did, because I got fatter lol
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 9:36 PM on May. 1, 2010

• I did change my style. I use to wear short skirts and killer heels, always had my hair and makeup on. Now short skirts and car seats just don't mix (unless you are an exhibitionist lol) And my son is a big boy so unless my hubby is around i dont wear heels. And I did get rid of most of my short skirts.And some days i dont shower until 9pm. I am 33 and the time for needing to turn every guys head is over. I dont want to be that mom who dresses like she is 22 and sh is 40! Who does?

I think it is great you encourage your children to dress as they wish, and i think it is mature to put the goth look away ...but why cant yo dress goth when you go out with SO and the kiddies are in bed?

I dont think you should feel hypocritical our children do not need to know everything we did when were were young!
    PotterMom218

Answer by PotterMom218 at 9:42 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Nope, I'm the sammmeeee!
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 9:54 PM on May. 1, 2010

• I tend to be a little more conservative in my dressing as well. While I wasn't goth or anything like that before, I did wear clothes that showed off a little more skin than I do now. I don't know if its just a subconsious thing that makes me feel like once you have kids you shouldn't dress skanky, or if its because I gained weight and those clothes don't look good on me anymore. Its probably a combination of the 2.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:04 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Nah, I dress pretty cute I think. Then and now.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 10:12 PM on May. 1, 2010

• I suppose I was always conservative, but my style definitely became more casual. I used to get up, put on makeup and curl my hair, keep my nails manicured, and I wore dresses almost all the time....because I like them. After kids, jeans and casual tops, hair in a pony tail, light makeup, and nails only manicured when I'm doing something special.......now that my kids are older, I'm trying to find a new style!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:12 PM on May. 1, 2010