ANOTHER illegal imigrant Question

In another question someone stated that 5% of the population of America is illegally here. If we shipped them all out tomorrow, how would that effect the economy in terms of 5% less groceries bought per day, 5% less gas bought etc etc? Would it send us into an even worse recession? Would there really be more jobs for Americans or would the decline in sales eliminate those positions?

I am not sure how I feel about the whole illegal imigration debate so I am trying to get more info from both sides and had never thought about this aspect of it.

trippyhippy

Asked by trippyhippy at 9:36 PM on May. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• If we shipped them all out tomorrow, how would that effect the economy in terms of 5% less groceries bought per day, 5% less gas bought etc etc?

If you read through the answers, someone cites research that in total illegal immigrants actually deflate the GDP and if they were all gone, it would rise slightly, not drop.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:38 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Considering that unemployment is at 10% + I think we would find a way to get by without illegals. We are in one of the longest recessions since the GD, so I don't see an adjustment period with rising employment rates as a bad thing. As people start making money they will start to buy things that they can now afford. It will work itself out if you let it. When government gets in the way of anything they screw the whole thing up. When has government (besides military) done anything better, more efficient, and more economically than the private sector? I don't think it's ever happened.

Anonymous

• Well, I know here in Oregon we have about 175,000 or at least this was a couple of years ago illegal immigrants. Currently we have about 170,000 people unemployed. I am not saying that if we get rid of all illegal immigrants that our unemployed would be at 0, but I am sure that the unemployment would drop greatly.
    Anonymous

• You know what bothers me the most,,,is the total miscommunication,,,between the State of Arizona and what is really going on there. I wrote a post yesterday,,that a deputy was shot in the Arizona desert,,,live time,,,when I was posting he was in the desert with a bullet hole in him. An undocumented immigrant shot him,,,the responses I got where mixed,,,some here challenged me that it was an illegal. Then a sister found the news feed and presented it here. I listened to Congressman Pierce,,yesterday,,practically begging for reform and for help in his State of Arizona. I feel that this hype,,is a smokescreen,,and we are not dealing with what needs to be dealed with,,,they need more law enforcement in Arizona,,they need stronger border patrol,,,,you come out with a law against Illegal immagrants,,,the whole idea of the problems Arizona is facing with illegals is forgotten,,the 20 officers,,killed by illegals,,,who even knows that
    Anonymous

But if you had 175,000 less people spending money wouldn't most of those jobs be downsized rather then filled?
    trippyhippy

Answer by trippyhippy at 9:58 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Like Not Panicking noted - the answer you're referring to quotes a negative effect on the GDP by those 5%, so overall, it would be better for the economy.

Besides, in a free market - supply and demand balance themselves out. Gasoline is a great example of how when the demand is low and supply is high the prices drop. That usually raises demand (because it's more affordable) then if the supply stays constant, the prices go up...the cycle is ongoing, but most goods and services tend towards an equilibrium that balances supply with demand.
    Anonymous

• You would have an additional 170,000 people that were unemployed with the prospect of a job and the means by which to make money, thus spend it (at grocery stores, clothing stores, mortgages, restaurants, gas stations, auto dealers, repair shops, etc.). They would be spending the money domestically while the illegals send much of what they make back home to family in Mexico, Canada, and other countries to their family they either left behind or extended family that cannot afford the expense of living in their country.

Anonymous

• See this is what I don't understand. Everyone a day or two ago had their panties all twisted because there were those who said that people who break the law (illegal) are criminals; which includes minor crimes and yes major crimes. That maybe the act of coming here is against our law; but it's not a 'fair' law (wah) so they're not 'criminals' because they intentionally disrespected our laws; they just made an innocent mistake.

But there is so much more going on that just one broken law.
    Crossing the border illegally - law broken
    Driving w/out a license - law broken
    Obtaining a license w/false doc's - law broken
    Hiring an illegal immigrant - law broken
    Paying worker cash under table - law broken - drain on economy
    Worker having false ID for taxes (ID theft) - law broken

Receive social benefits here; but send majority of earnings out of country - drain on economy

I could go on; but the character limit won't al
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 10:13 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Since you're talking employment. By being an undocumented &/or falsely documented worker you set yourself up for all sorts of workplace abuse.

Working for 'cash under the table' you often receive less than minimum wage when all's said and done and you have no recourse for help. You have no employment stability; you can be terminated at will (many states require a valid reason for dismissal; poor performance; habitual absence/tardiness etc).

I don't deny there is a substantial amount of this country who wouldn't stand hunched over picking strawberries(ex) in a field all day; & that migrant farm workers are actually a pretty big part of keeping our food supplies running at the moment; but there is no reason these people can't apply for temp work visas; they just have to prove they have valid employment waiting for them; and many return to the same farms season after season; they could be legal; they choose not to.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 10:24 PM on May. 1, 2010

• think about the recent fight about raising the minimum wage. Cons were against it, libs for, right? The people that pay illegal immigrants often DO NOT pay minimum wage, and are therefore competing with the unskilled and poor populations that would take those jobs.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:46 PM on May. 1, 2010