What to do?

I'm 37 weeks and on my last set of bloodwork my iron came back low, I'm now taking iron supplements for 2 days. Fine and dandy problem is, anything I eat I puke right back up within a couple hours, at 37 weeks with an almost 9 lb baby puking hurts SO bad let alone this can't be healthy, can you have an allergy to iron to make you puke? I don't go to the doctor until wedensday but I don't know if I should keep taking the iron or what, I don't want to jeopordize baby not getting enough, what do you think?

kenzsmama

Asked by kenzsmama at 9:39 PM on May. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Personally If they (the pills where making me sick. I would stop taking them.

Answer by louise2 at 9:42 PM on May. 1, 2010

• I'm not a doctor, but I would imagine you could up iron containing foods rather than taking a suppliment. Vitamins always send me to the toilet because they're just soooo concentrated and my stomach has never been able to handle them while i'm pregnant. Be sure your taking your prenatals as well, if you can. My OB said that two gummie or chewable childrens vitamins were the same as one prenatal, so there's an alternative for you!
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 9:44 PM on May. 1, 2010

• If you just throw them up, then your body isn't getting the iron anyway.

Another way to get iron in you is to actually cook with a cast iron skillet (so says my old nutrition professor). The exact amounts you get depends on the food your cooking, but some of the iron transfers to your food. It's one of those little things often recommended for anemics...and it might be easier to keep down because the iron bonds to the food molecules instead of being alone in a supplement.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:32 PM on May. 1, 2010