My 2 year old daugter is skinny

My 2 year old has gottern really skinny in the past month and only weighs 22 pounds, just four pounds more than my 6 month old. has been mopy and not herself. Anyone else have this problem?

jamseefried

Asked by jamseefried at 9:59 PM on May. 1, 2010 in Kids' Health

• That's disturbing. Has anything dramatic happen to her ? I would be very worried. Has she been to the doctor?

Anonymous

• YEs I did take her to the doctor on tuesday and he acted like it wasn't a big deal.
    jamseefried

Answer by jamseefried at 10:15 PM on May. 1, 2010

• I have had that problem. My daughter was three and got so skinny. She lost a little at a time and then it picked up, then she got sick. Her behavior changed, then she became lethargic and had blue lips. Several trips to the doctor got me answers like "it's a virus, it has to run it's course".

Finally, I took her again, she had become lethargic, sleeping all day, only getting out of bed to get a drink twice, didn't even wake up when I changed her diaper (she had regressed from being almost 100% potty trained).

FINALLY, I got a diagnosis. Type One diabetes, her blood sugar was 616 (it should be closer to 120 or below) and she was very sick. Her Ph level was on the verge of being "incompatible with life". She was in the PICU then peds for three days. She's a happy healthy 9 year old diabetic now.

Go back to the doctor and get her sugar checked PLEASE. Kids present differently the younger they are!

Keep us updated.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 10:23 PM on May. 1, 2010

• get her some boost or pediasure and monitor it
    I would talk to a diff doc in the office

good luck!
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:23 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Was she herself when you had her at the Dr office? Is she mopy and not herself all the time or just sometimes? I would push to get her sugar tested.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 12:54 AM on May. 2, 2010

• My 3.5 year old only weighs 28 lbs. If you are concerned take her to the doctor, especially if there has been weight loss. My daughter has not experienced weight loss, only steady gain, she's just very small. But our doctor knows our family history (my inlaws are both small people as well as my parents and DH and myself). So doc is not concerned for my child's size especially cause she eats like a horse. If something has happened or she's stopped eating...or any concern like this, I'd go to the doctor.

Anonymous

• Has she LOST weight, or is she just small? If she is just skinny and hasn't been packing on weight, that would probably be why your Dr. isn't very concerned. However I would go back and discuss a personality change- that could be normal brain development, but it if it isn't, you'd want to find the underlying cause.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 2:03 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I assume it's weight loss because she said has gotten really skinny in the past month. So my answer is based on weight loss, just fyi
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 4:18 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I think if your doctor didnt seem to be concerned about it then it is okay.If you are still worried though go to another doctor after all nobody knows your daughter like you do.
    fryshannon34

Answer by fryshannon34 at 12:44 PM on May. 4, 2010