Solid foods

How often do you feed your 6 month old solid foods?

Should it be 3 times a day, i.e. breakfast, lunch, dinner?

Or should it just be once or twice a day?

Jessie1689

Asked by Jessie1689 at 10:02 PM on May. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started out once every few days at first and the slowly work my way to 2 twice a day in the time span of 3 weeks. I stick with this normally unless he is teething and then he refuses to eat. He's 7 months now and has been eating solids since 5 months.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 12:03 PM on May. 2, 2010

• As often as you want AFTER breastmilk or formula, whichever you're giving. His liquid diet is most impoortant and not one bite of solids till he's had his liquid meal. It's fine if he takes only one teaspoon at a sitting. Solids are for the experience of having them in year one, nothing more.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:48 PM on May. 1, 2010

• At 6 mos I was not feeding solids at all. If you want to, I wouldn't offer a ton. Like G said, ALWAYS following breast or bottle. You don't HAVE to feed him 3X a day, but I guess you can if you want. It seems a bit excessive to me, but each family is different.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:45 AM on May. 2, 2010

• thanks amberdawnbarr it does seem like a better idea to give him only 2 meals a day instead of three. Seeing as the rest of us in the house hold really only eat lunch and dinner that way he can eat with us. Though he will be getting cereal at a more brunch hour since there will be days that I'm at work and he does fine with just cereal, this will be the ONLY time he gets solids with out breast milk and so far he has done great. He is very eager to eat solids.
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 6:32 PM on May. 2, 2010