How do I do this?

My 9 month old has been co-sleeping with me since he was 6 months old. He got really sick and started sleeping with me then and just never went back in his crib after that. Well he's getting so big now that my fiance has started sleeping on the couch because there's no room left in the bed for him. I don't want it to continue anymore so how can I get my son to start sleeping in his crib again? Before he goes down for naps and down for the night, I have to lay next time him and nurse him the the bed to get him to fall asleep. If you move him or anything he wakes up right away...so I don't think putting him to sleep in the bed and then moving him into the crib is going to work. Any advice at all? If you are going to suggest any form of CIO, don't bother. I won't do it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:08 PM on May. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Here is how I fixed that issue here... I stopped laying down to nurse my DS to sleep. I would sit in a chair or on my bed and nurse him. I would let him nurse til he just started to doze then I would start to move around with him. I would walk around still nursing him until he calmed back down. then I would let him fall asleep completely while nursing. as soon as he lost his grip on me breast it was time to put him down.

It may take a few times of putting him down and him waking up, you picking him up and getting him to sleep again, putting him down and him waking up. But soon you and he will get into a rhythm.

Just know this... when i stopped co-sleeping with DS it was the beginning of the weaning process. But we did last til 19mon and 14days
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 10:30 PM on May. 1, 2010

• the only way it worked for me was to let me daughter CIO. It lasted 2 nights and now she goes to bed by herself with a few pats are her back in her crib (shes 10 months). I never wanted to let her CIO, but nothing else worked and it was only bad for 2 nights. She is much more comfortable in her own crib now and we all sleep better :)
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:12 PM on May. 1, 2010

• Well you will be co-sleeping with him for a long time then. I do not see a way to get him to lay down in his own bed, by himself with out him fussing some. Good luck.

Answer by louise2 at 10:13 PM on May. 1, 2010

• I think the damage is done it is going to take some time for him to get adjusted to his new area of sleeping it is going to be hard but you will have to be consistant or it will never work...As far as your dh allowing this it is his fault as well he should have stepped in along time ago. GL
    Anonymous