The worst mother on the planet award goes to me,,,,

I have been a single parent for 7 yrs now. Ex gets visitation every other weekend. So ex took my 17 and 15 this am and just a little while ago kids came home. Dd wanted to get stuff for dads and son took his pants off,,lol,,,its his thing,,wondering around in his underwear. Anyway,,,I asked son why he was home,,and he has plans tomorrow with his friend and he wants to be picked up here. I feel so guilty right now,,I work full time,,,,this is my only time,,,one Saturday night,,two times a month, just for me,,,,to sit in MY underwear! I told son he was going to dads,,and now I feel so guilty...Am I wrong for wanting time for myself, twice a month,,one night to just unwind, go on the computer for as long as I want,,,without my teens bugging me about stuff? Im not even dating right now,,just looking for space I guess,,,,am I wrong here?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:29 PM on May. 1, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• nope
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:33 PM on May. 1, 2010

• No... I think it is fine for you to want that. Plus, you dont' want his dad getting all uppity that he was at your place on HIS weekend. If anything, you are abiding by the divorce settlement.
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 10:33 PM on May. 1, 2010

• not at all... they are old enough to understand that you need some time and space to yourself. Enjoy it! Don't guilt yourself into thinking you are a bad mom because of it.
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 10:35 PM on May. 1, 2010

• No, why do you feel guilty. Every mother especially single moms deserve a break. I wish I got one twice a month lol. I have four, and I feel like going out of my mind sometimes. But I have a vacation with my best friend coming up on the 20th of this month to jamaica....whooo hooo...and I dont feel guilty, lol so why should you. We deserve it!!
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 1:11 AM on May. 2, 2010

• YOU ARE NOT A BAD MOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stop feeling that way. You have a right to privacy and downtime. Your kids need time with their father and you need time to be a person and woman. You did the right thing. Enjoy your freetime, your deserve it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:25 AM on May. 2, 2010

• HELL NO! you seem like a great mom! every mom needs time for themselves. and you being a single mom have far less of this than most. you have you children with you 24 hours a day for all but 2 days a month. you DESERVE 24 hours to not be disturbed lol. you deserve to sit back with a glass of wine and cafemom with an empty house and no worries bc you spend the rest of your time wrapped up in your babies! i kids grandmothers want them almost every weekend! and i feel no guilt! however i do miss them when they're gone but i know they'll be back lol. and your son is old enough to understand that, he can have his friend pick him up at his dads or even dad can take him whereever it is he needs to go! so no dont feel bad and enjoy your night
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 1:57 PM on May. 2, 2010

• i agree with all of the above.

also i would explain that if things/plans come up like this he needs to check with you and/or dad. i would think being his weekend with his dad, he should ask his dad if that is okay first.

you are doing great. believe me my SKs mom is worse than you could ever wish to be....and i know and am glad that she is not the worst mom ever either. so dont feel bad!
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 4:20 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Not at all, especially since your children are so much older.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 7:14 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Hell no, in the same boat, i treasure my time alone. Just to do for me. U are awesome.
    voni681

Answer by voni681 at 2:59 PM on May. 4, 2010