Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What happens when a 7 year old swallows a nickel?

My 7 year old son just swallowed a nickel. It was scary at first. No choking was involved, but it scared him a lot. So.....my question is, is that, now that the nickel is floating in his tummy, is this something i should be concerned about or will it just pass on through if you know what i mean? Thanks for your responses in advance=)

Answer Question
 
krusecat22

Asked by krusecat22 at 10:33 PM on May. 1, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (17)
  • Call your ped. But if I remember correctly from when I was in school myself and there was a special needs classmate who was always eating nonfood items, you simply have to have them poop in bucket so you can dig thru it each time to make sure it passes thru their system ok. If its not out in x number of days, you have to take them in for xrays and possibly removal if it got hung up.
    karamille

    Answer by karamille at 10:36 PM on May. 1, 2010

  • yikes
    krusecat22

    Answer by krusecat22 at 10:39 PM on May. 1, 2010

  • The same thing that happens when they swallow a penny x5.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 PM on May. 1, 2010

  • what does that mean?
    krusecat22

    Answer by krusecat22 at 10:48 PM on May. 1, 2010

  • it comes out the other end eventually.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 PM on May. 1, 2010

  • ok=) I just need some re-assurance that it's not life threating, or could pose a huge medical dilemma! My parents say, if it went down ok, then it will come out ok=)
    krusecat22

    Answer by krusecat22 at 11:19 PM on May. 1, 2010

  • I swallowed a penny when I was 5 or 6 and I NEVER told my mother about it because I knew she'd yell at me. To this day she doesn't know I did that. LOL. I'm still breathing :)
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on May. 2, 2010

  • They poop it out. I can't imagine how many kids probably swallow coins. The biggest danger is the choking - once it gets down, it just has to get through the system. =)
    lifetimelove

    Answer by lifetimelove at 2:35 AM on May. 2, 2010

  • First, unless he has a special need, he is too old to be putting things in his mouth. Second, he will poop it out.
    tyfry7496

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:56 AM on May. 2, 2010

  • You have him evaluated; he is far too old to do something like that.
    Suzy_Sunshine

    Answer by Suzy_Sunshine at 8:27 PM on May. 2, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN