breast v. bottle

I have been breastfeeding for my sons first 3 months of life. over the last month and a half he has had a few bottles of formula.( I can't get the pumping down and don't want a lecture from la leche league) he has only had it a few times but this week it seems he prefers formula to my breast. Any thoughts from the mommy gallery? will this pass or is formula more yummy than boob?

Willsmama0110

Asked by Willsmama0110 at 10:35 PM on May. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• he may prefer the bottle's nipple, and you may not be producing enough milk so i say give him the bottle if you or he can't get he bfing down
    Anonymous

• This is nipple preference.NOT formula prefernce...the bottle is easier.

It IS beatable but that means dumping bottles. He CAN have a sippy cup instead...he gets the milk without the sucking he NEEDS. Then he turns to the breast.

And if you want some help on the pump outputs (YOUR OPTION...putting it out there), please drop by the breastfeeding moms group. We don't care that you've given formula. We WILL tell you that not using it while you're home will help...and that's merely long experience (we have an aggregate of several centuries' worth of it.

Just so you know...normal output is one half to 2 ounces total, and baby NEEDS one to 1.25 ounces per hour of separation....that's all. I hope that helps a bit.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:47 PM on May. 1, 2010

• First, the mission of La Leche League is to provide information and support for moms who want to breastfeed, not to pressure or criticize someone choosing to or needing to use formula! Many babies will develop a "flow preference" for the bottle. There are some tricks you can do to help prevent this, see Bottle-Feeding Methods that Minimize Flow Preference

Keep in mind that the more you supplement with formula the more your supply will go down.  You can likely "make up" for the occasional bottle by spending some extra time skin to skin and encouraging some extra nursing.  That is also a good way to get a reluctant baby back to the breast. Also, breastfeeding does not have to be all or nothing, many moms find a cobination of breast/bottle that works for them.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:52 PM on May. 1, 2010

• sippy cup for a 3 month old?...
    Willsmama0110

Answer by Willsmama0110 at 10:54 PM on May. 1, 2010

• If you stick with it and keep trying to nurse him then he will eventually nurse again. He probably just wants the bottle because its easier to get milk from it then it is from the breast. I had to be in the hospital for like a week and just in that amount of time my daughter who was 6 months wanted formula instead of breast milk and I just kept trying and she finally went back to nursing!! Good Luck I know it can be stressful but its so worth it!!

Zara Nichols
    Helping Moms Work From Home
    www.4AHappyLife.com
    ZaraN

Answer by ZaraN at 10:58 PM on May. 1, 2010

• thank you for the response I was'nt trying to put down LLL. the link was very informative. Zara thank you for sharing your personal exp. !
    Willsmama0110

Answer by Willsmama0110 at 1:34 AM on May. 2, 2010

• I just have to add...have you tasted formula? It tastes AWFUL. It is totally a flow preference, not taste.

kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 3:26 AM on May. 2, 2010

• You wouldn't get a lecture from La Leche League telling you to pump. LLL would tell you to take your baby with you and avoid bottles at all. LLL helps working moms and moms and other moms with pumping only because it's better than not breastfeeding at all.

Exclusive breastfeeding is recommended for the first 6 months by the American Academy of Pediatrics, the World Health Org, UNICEF, the Surgeon General, and all the other orgs interested in baby health. That means only breastfeeding, no bottles, not even of breastmilk.

Bottles can cause premature weaning as you may be experiencing. Human milk tastes good, formula tastes awful. Try it. Artificial nipples ruin breastfeeding.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:05 AM on May. 2, 2010

• Avoiding bottles or pacifiers should avoid weaning. If you must be away, your baby can be fed by cup, spoon, dropper, or syringe.

It's recommended to wait on solids until 6 months. However, solids after 4 months are better than formula. It's better to start your baby on solids and have the sitter feed solids while you are away and then you can nurse when you are together. You have to be willing to still breastfeed about the same number of times you were breastfeeding every 24 hours so the baby is still getting lots of breastmilk.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:10 AM on May. 2, 2010

• I doubt he likes the formula better then the breast milk, but it's quite possible and even common for him to prefer the fast flow of the bottle to the slower let down and flow of the breast. Why/when do you offer a bottle? When you are apart, when you are out, etc...just wondering. My advice is to nurse when you are together. When you're home, no bottles. Of course, this is up to you, but the advice I'm offering is going to help to keep him nursing. I'm not sure if that's what you want or not. If you're happy with the way things are now, then keep them that way. Do what works for your family.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:43 AM on May. 2, 2010