would you say that kids are as smart as their genetics allow them to be

My 5 yr can look at words and read them, he knows the sounds they start with, he really is self taught in many ways and if you throw a math problem at him, like the type the 2nd graders are learning he "just knows" the answer.
He starts kindergarten this fall.
His dad is the type you ask him anything about numbers and it a split second he has the answer...and I have always been good with words.
Would you say his abilities are from the combined genes of me and my husband?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:16 PM on May. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'm going to agree with everyone else and say it's a combination of genetics and environment. What proved that to me was this lady my mom was friends with from work, she was nice, but very uneducated, her daughter was also nice, but not particulary smart at all. Well one day this lady told my mom that she had a son that she had put up for adoption when she was a teenager. The son had contacted her and was this brilliant kid going to Harvard!
    Your son is reading because you taught him, he's able to answer math problems because you taught him. He's picking it up quickly because he's intelligent, which I assume is genetic.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:05 AM on May. 2, 2010

• sure why not! I think it is a combination of natural genetic gifts and an environment which encourages and allows learning, rather than 12 hrs watching cartoons - Yay Momma
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 11:18 PM on May. 1, 2010

• well, maybe.
    but some kids are not as smart as their genetics would allow them to be. Due to trauma or lack of proper opportunity or any other number of things.

And other kids are geniuses who have average family members.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:33 PM on May. 1, 2010

• I believe it is a combination of bothe genetics and the enviroment in which children are brought up. My dad was a stickler when it came to learning. His motto was to teach us something new everyday. I believe my brother and i are pretty smart. But, the enviroment my sister grew up in stunted hereducational growth, IMO. She canno read very well. She has been held back twice. She should be in high school, but she is still in middle school. She has no desire or drive to do better. She's said herself that she'd rather marry a rich guy than work for her own. The enviroment plays a big part. Just my opinion.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 11:42 PM on May. 1, 2010

• I'm raising 2 of my grandchildren, one of which, I feel confident is not really my sons, but @ the time of birth the mom (who obviously left them) said she was, so we have raised her as such. Saying all this for the purpose of saying yes IMO genetics have a big part in it.The child that I don't believe is genetically ours is brilliant, math, reading, sports, all come natural to her, so in our case, I do nothing more with her than I did with my children or her sibling & don't have to, cause she JUST KNOWS things automatically, like the op said. STRANGE, I KNOW, BUT TRUE. For example she just won some big award for saying the most math facts in the least amount of time in her school District, when I ask her how did she know them, she said well we went over them in class:)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on May. 2, 2010

• My bio son (only one of my children share genes with dh and I) is Gifted (tested and labeled by the School psychologist, not just by a biased parent), and well, he sure as hell didn't get that from his parents LOL, so.... I am not so sure it's all about genetics. That kid processes information so fast, and in a way I will never understand.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 2:22 AM on May. 2, 2010

• It is a combination of genetics and environment.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:03 AM on May. 2, 2010

• Ever read the Bell Curve? Very interesting.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:26 PM on May. 3, 2010