Bible Verses

If you cannot answer a question about faith without resorting to bible quotes, how can you possibly truly understand your faith? All it really accomplishes is looking like you went to a website, searched for "bible verses about (insert subject here)" and copy and pasted whatever showed up. There is no intelligence or thought behind the answer.

(and fyi, no bible verses posted in this question will be read, so save your copy and pasting)

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:35 AM on May. 2, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• So what is your question....what is faith? It is simply trusting God with all your heart. Now about the bible verses. The bible says the hid the word in your heart that you will not sin against him. I have been studying the word of God for many years and do not copy and paste. It is really judgmental for you to say people copy and paste you don't know what people know. (By the way that scripture is taken from psalms 119:11).
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 12:41 AM on May. 2, 2010

• So what is your question.

It's written right there at the top:
    "If you cannot answer a question about faith without resorting to bible quotes, how can you possibly truly understand your faith?"
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:42 AM on May. 2, 2010

• Whenever someone asks me a question, I try to answer as best as i can. When it's a specific question regarding what I believe in and why, I answer but like to use scriptures from the bible to show that I didnt make it up that i got it from the bible. kind of like when you write a term paper or article and you quote your sources.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on May. 2, 2010

• It is really judgmental for you to say people copy and paste you don't know what people know.

I said that's how it comes across, I didn't say that's what they do. You're 0 and 2, did you even bother to read anything I wrote?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:43 AM on May. 2, 2010

• Amen sista!!!! =)
    Anonymous

• What you wrote seems like you are looking for a fight tonight.....I trully understand my faith because I know I trust in God with all my heart and look to him as my all in all. That's my faith.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 12:46 AM on May. 2, 2010

• i think it has to do w/ proving a point. for many Christians the Bible is the end-all-be-all of religion, so if they find a verse that says "XYZ is bad" then its bad, no questions asked, no work to do. and many figure that they believe in the Bible this way so all other Christians must also believe this way (and thus starts arguments between Christians). also, Bible knowledge is stressed very heavily in Christian circles and can be a source of pride for some...but knowing where the verse is means little if one cant apply it well.

some Christians dont understand that to a non-Christian the Bible means little if anything and that there is NO point in quoting it as a source of why a Christian is right or why another is wrong. i try to reserve quotes only for those who ask for them or where a Christian belief stems from. i dont see the point in using my time searching for something thats just going to be ignored.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:50 AM on May. 2, 2010

• Christians know that non Christians care little about the word. At least I do, the point is we believe the word of God is infalliable and undisputable so yes we quote it. As I said when you have studied scripture as long as I have, what is in you will come out of you......I have to as well agree with a part of what okmanders said,.... if they find a verse that says "XYZ is bad" then its bad, no questions asked, no work to do. and many figure that they believe in the Bible this way so all other Christians must also believe this way (and thus starts arguments between Christians)....... I just had a elderly resident at the nursing home tell me I was going to hell because I was painting her roommates finger nails, she said we were both gong and gave me some interpertation on scripture that was taken totally out of context. Yet because I know that is how she believes and have believed for years, I just shrugged it off.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 1:07 AM on May. 2, 2010

• Jesus himself, when temped by Satan in the desert after fasting 40 days, quoted scripture (truth) back to Satan. He said 3 times, "It is written..." I think if Jesus led by example and we are following his example, we quote scripture because it is the truth. People do sometimes have different interpretations of the truth, and yes, it can be distorted. If someone quotes a scripture in response to something, if the reader doesn't understand, they would be wise to do some additional research or ask questions about what is intended by the scripture itself. To not read a bible verse simply because it's there and you are offended by it, does, however, defeat the purpose.

The Bible is God's word & God's word is true. Any Christian should be able to quote OR copy & paste when they remember part of a verse & it's context, (Thank you, bible.com) but not the whole verse, because we SHOULD quote it correctly.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 7:52 AM on May. 2, 2010

• If you cannot answer a question about faith without resorting to bible quotes, how can you possibly truly understand your faith?

I think what the OP is asking is, if we quote the Bible, rather than explaining in common terms whatever the topic was, how else can we EXPLAIN our faith to someone who does not value or know the Bible? Maybe? I understand why sometimes, quoting scripture can seem like a cop-out to someone who is still not understanding.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 7:55 AM on May. 2, 2010